Victorian home icon
  1. Wild Love Bakehouse: Wild Love Bakehouse is located on N. Central Street and is owned by Shaun and Meg Parrish (who also own the very popular Old City Java in Knoxville’s Old City). They serve up fresh coffee, tea, in-house baked goods, salads, puddings, soup and so many other delicious options in their unique environment, which can only be described as open and friendly.
  2. Remedy Coffee and Makers Donuts: Remedy Coffee originally opened in the Old City in 2009, but it found a new home in North Knoxville on Tyson last year, when the owners also opened Maker’s Donuts. The gourmet donut shop and its coffee shop partner have quickly become Knoxville favorites. You can look at Maker’s Donuts weekly flavor options on their website.
  3. Three Rivers Market: Three Rivers Market on N. Central is much more than just a local food market. They do sell some national health food brands, but their emphasis is on local vendor partnerships. And don’t think that you only go there to buy groceries, because their hot bar with ready-made meal options is always outstanding.
  4. Schulz Brau Brewing Company: Schulz Brau Brewing Company is the brand new, castle-shaped German Brewery with an Old World charm that opened this summer on Bernard Avenue. While they aren’t yet serving German food to go with their German brews (which they brew according to a German beer purity law), there is often a food truck parked beside the building they encourage you to try out.
  5. K Brew: K Brew is one of Knoxville’s most popular coffee stops. It is located on N. Broadway and features a hangout room with a forest of hammock chairs. Alton Brown even named the shop one of the top 10 coffee houses in the country in 2014.
  6. Holly’s Corner: Holly’s Corner is a small deli-type restaurant located on N. Central. They serve a variety of food options, including gourmet sandwiches, salads, quiches and soups. I don’t think I knew what a real sandwich was until I tried Holly’s Ricky Ricardo Sammitch.
  7. Magpie’s Bakery: Magpie’s Bakery is right beside Holly’s Corner on N. Central. It was founded in 1992 by Peg Hambright, who just wanted to make yummy stuff. Their modus operandi is cakes, but they also offer homemade pies (my personal favorite), cheesecake, cookies and so much more.
  8. Mid Mod Collective: Mid Mod Collective on N. Central offers a lot of mid-century vintage options in the departments of clothing, furniture, books and records. When you walk through the door, you might even be tempted to think you’re on the set of a “Mad Men” shoot. It is located right next to Wild Love Bakehouse.
  9. Crafty Bastard Brewery: Crafty Bastard Brewery was founded in 2014 by Aaron McClain and Jen Parker after they studied the craft of brewing beer in places like Asheville and Portland. It’s located in the Fourth and Gill neighborhood and offers top-quality beer options to the North Knoxville neighborhood.
  10. Retrospect Vintage Store: Retrospect on N. Central is a second-hand vintage store featuring anything and everything you could ever think of purchasing. The options are always changing, and you’re sure to find something funky and fun.