Lady Vols Basketball vs Texas A&M
Tamari Key, #20, at Thompson-Boling Arena on Sunday, February 16th, 2020.

Tennessee goes up against No. 22 Arkansas on Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Bud Walton Arena in Fayetteville, Arkansas. The Lady Vols currently sit at 17-8 on the season and 7-5 in SEC play, while Arkansas is 20-5 overall and 8-4 in conference.

In their last match, Tennessee came up short against No. 18/16 Texas A&M, as the Aggies defeated the Lady Vols, 73-71, at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Tennessee was led by Rae Burrell, who in just her third career start had a team-high 19 points and seven rebounds. Rennia Davis also produced on the offensive end, scoring 18 points. The junior also assisted on six baskets and grabbed five rebounds.

Tennessee was unable to stop Texas A&M’s Chennedy Carter, who scored a career-high 37 points on 10 of 22 shooting. She went 3 for 5 from three and made the most of her opportunities at the charity stripe, making 14 of 16 free throws. Carter also recorded five rebounds and stole the ball three times.

Other notable performances from the Aggies include N’dea Jones’ 16 rebounds and Shambria Washington, who tallied 10 points, recorded three assists and picked the pockets of Lady Vols players three times.

Tennessee was able to hang with Texas A&M for most of the match. Tennessee outscored them in the first and fourth quarters, and the Aggies’ largest lead of the game was just 10 points.

However, Tennessee turned the ball over 16 times and that led to 19 points for Texas A&M. Another key factor in the Lady Vols’ loss was their poor free throw shooting compared to the Aggies. Tennessee shot 37.5% from the line, whereas Texas A&M shot 84.8%.

Arkansas welcomes Tennessee to Fayetteville after defeating Ole Miss, 108-64, which set a SEC record for most points in a game. This is the second straight game where Arkansas has broken that record. They first did it last Sunday against then-No. 15 Kentucky, dropping 103 points on the Wildcats.

Alexis Tolefree scored a team-high 19 points for the Razorbacks. The senior went 4-6 from the field, 2-3 from three and 9-10 from the free throw line. Teammates Chelsea Dungee and Amber Ramirez scored 18 and 17 points, respectively.

For the season, Arkansas has three players who are averaging more than 10 points a game: Dungee (18.1), Tolefree (15.9) and Ramirez (14.5). Taylah Thomas leads the team with 7.1 rebounds per game. A’Tyanna Gaulden has 79 assists this season, 21 more than the next closest player.

Thursday’s match will be the 35th match between the two conference rivals, with Tennessee leading the series 30-4.

Tennessee’s most recent win came in the 2017-18 season. During the match, Davis recorded a then-career-high 33 points in the Lady Vols 90-85 win.

Arkansas won its battle in the 2018-19 season, 80-79. Tennessee’s Evina Westbrook scored 24 points, 18 in the second half, and also recorded five assists, while Zaay Green came in second with 17 points and six rebounds.

Even with that though, it wasn’t enough to stop the Razorbacks as three players scored at least 15 points. Malica Monk led Arkansas with 23, while Dungee and Tolefree scored 19 and 16, respectively.

Tipoff from Bud Walton Arena is set for 7 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on SEC Network.