Stamatia Scarvelis

Stamatia Scarvelis during the hammer throw on Thursday afternoon at the Tom Black Track at LaPorte Stadium. 

On Friday, the University of Tennessee track and field team finished with 15 top-5 finishes at the 52nd Tennessee Relays. Lenysse Dyer (women’s 400m), Alonie Sutton (women’s long jump) and Zach Long (men’s 1500m) won event titles for the Vols at Tom Black Track.

“We’ve had a good day today,” said director of track and field and cross country Beth Alford-Sullivan. “It is still early April in our books and we go all the way through to the middle of June, so it’s still early season but we have had a lot of great things happen.”

Dyer, the senior captain, clocked a season-best time of 52.79 which also netted her first-career victory at the Tennessee Relays. Dyer was the only participant to finish with a sub-53. Her time also stands as her season best, which ranks 13th in the NCAA and 9th in the SEC.

Sutton’s leap of 6.34 m (20-9.75) would have been good for the 6th best jump in program history, but a +3.5 m/s tail win registered the mark as “wind-aided” and therefore is disqualified from Tennessee’s record books.

Long’s title winning time of 3:43.09 stands as the 8th best in program history. It is also the third-fastest in the NCAA this season.

“It was a great run for him,” said director Alford-Sullivan. “First of all, it’s always great to win, he’s a local kid and for him to win here at home is always exciting. He also backed it up from the race last year. He raced exceptionally well, big personal best for him. Probably our top six in our all time history. I was really proud of him.”

Kiara Rhodes competed in the javelin throw and the 800m run and had personal bests in both events. She threw for 29.21m (95-10) and clocked a time of 2:25.25 for a total of five PRs in seven events. She finished the day with 5,271 points which beats her previous best, and places her in the top-8 in Lady Vol history.

Hurdles duo of Alexis Duncan (12.90w) and Domonique Turner (13.29w) each recorded season-best times to place second and fourth, respectively, in the 100m hurdles. Mustaqeem Williams (10.23w) competed in the 100m dash and secured third place. Gabriella Cantrell (11.41w) placed fourth with a wind-aided score of 11.41 in the women’s 100m dash.

Jonathan Sacoor won bronze in the men’s 400m dash. His time of 46.99 is his second best-time all season. Layla White’s time of 54.57 in the 400m secured fifth-place. Brooklyn Broadwater capped off Tennessee’s sprint outings with a season-best 59.08 to net her fourth.

Men and women’s shot-put saw Joseph Maxwell (18.92m/62-1) placing fifth and Stamatia Scarvelis (16.26m/53-4.25) finishing in fourth.

Long jumper Jalen Tate had a leap of 7.68m (25-2.5) which netted him third place.

Andre Hillsman and Karl Thiessen competed in the men’s 5000m and placed third and fourth respectively.

“Lenysse Dyer winning the open 400 and really racing hard to get back on top was incredible,” Alford-Sullivan said. “Alexis Duncan kicked in another notch in the hurdles and she has shown such great form. Mustaqeem [Williams] was running another step better than he did three weeks ago in Miami... We look good and I’m really proud of people.”

The 52nd Tennessee Relays will end Saturday with both relay and field events. The meet begins at 11 a.m. with women’s discus.