The Lady Vols vs. North Dakota State
Lady Vol's volleyball player Tessa Grubbs (17) spikes the ball in the game against North Dakota State at Thompson-Boling Arena on September 21, 2019

On Monday afternoon, Tessa Grubbs and Sedona Hansen added more accolades to their ever-expanding collection earning SEC weekly honors after their showing in the Tennessee Classic over the weekend.

Hansen, who was the MVP of the Tennessee Classic on Saturday, was named the SEC Player of the Week along with being crowned the SEC Setter of the Week. Grubbs earned her third ever Offensive Player of the Week honors, an award that she had earned twice during last season.

During the weekend, Hansen played out of the 5-1 in all three matches and helped the team hit for a .399 hitting percentage. She recorded her fourth double-double of the season as she assisted on 35 balls and notched 10 digs in the team’s win over Georgia Southern. Hansen has a total of 51 double-doubles in her career which stands as the third highest mark in school history.

Hansen also helped to lead Tennessee to their 11th highest hitting percentage in the rally-scoring era against North Dakota State. In that match, Tennessee finished with a hitting percentage of .427.

She ended the week averaging 11.57 assists per set, which stands as the highest weekly average by a Tennessee setter in the Eve Rackham era. Hansen will start conference play only 32 digs shy of becoming the fourth player in school history to notch 2,500-plus assists and 1,000-plus digs in her career.

Grubbs struck 5 kills per set during the week and also has 12 or more kills in all straight-set victories. She posted a career-high .600 hitting percentage and a match-high 16 kills in the Tennessee Classic’s final match against North Dakota State.

During the opener against ETSU, Grubbs was tied for fifth most kills in the three-set match during the 25-point rally scoring era with 17 against ETSU. That mark was also tied for the fourth most of any SEC players in a three-set match this season.

Grubbs climbed the ranks on the programs kill list as she now stands in the top 15 after the weekend. She passed both Erica Treiber (2015-18) and Sara Blum (2003-06). Grubbs enters SEC play with 1,139 career kills and needs 204 more kills this season to break into the top 10 in Tennessee history. 

Both Hansen and Grubbs, along with their teammates are preparing to kick off SEC play against Ole Miss on Friday in Oxford, Mississippi.