Vols Tennis vs Mercer

No. 10 Tennessee took down No. 38 Georgia Tech 4-0 Friday afternoon. The Vols’ tennis team improved to 11-1 on the season, while the Yellow Jackets fell to 6-3.

Tennessee got ahead early by winning two of three matches in doubles play, but the doubles point did not come easily.

The first match to finish was on court three, where the Vols lost 6-1. Keshav Chopra and Andres Martin of Georgia Tech beat junior Adam Walton and sophomore Martim Prata. 

The loss snapped Walton’s season-long win streak, which sat at 10 matches. 

On court one, behind the No. 52 ranked doubles team of graduate student Giles Hussey and junior Andrew Rogers, Tennessee edged out Pablo Schelcher and Marcus McDaniel, by a score of 6-4. 

Tennessee clinched the doubles point on court two. Sophomore Pat Harper and junior Mark Wallner won 7-6 (7) in the tiebreaker over Carlos Divar and Chris Yun.

“I know one of our courts struggled, but me and Mark, I felt like we played really well in the tiebreaker,” Harper said. “They're a strong team, they’re going to be top twenty-five. In the long run that win will help us.”

“I think it looked like we hadn’t played in two weeks,” head coach Chris Woodruff said. “I thought Georgia Tech came out in certain spots, especially the doubles and gave us some trouble. A win is a win, and we will enjoy this tonight.”

The Vols played better in their singles match-ups, winning three matches to earn the victory. 

“We came out a bit quiet and slow. I know not playing for a week and a half, it was tough,” Harper said. “But as we settled in you could tell we were the better team.”

Harper was the first to finish in singles play. He beat Chopra 6-3, 6-3 on court six.

“I felt like I started off really well. I struggled in the second, got down three-love early, but I always knew I could win,” Harper said of his singles match. “Helping the guys out with that first win definitely pushed the other guys to fight for it harder.”

Prata won the second singles match on court two, by beating Cole Gromley 6-3, 7-5. 

Senior Luca Wiedenmann clinched the victory for Tennessee on court three. He defeated McDaniel 7-6 (7), 6-3. 

"Luca had a good win," Woodruff said of Wiedenmann’s performance. "McDaniel had been winning a lot, and I really liked the way that Luca won the tiebreaker. He also served for it and won the deciding point.”

Walton, Rogers and Hussey had their singles matches go unfinished.

Tennessee is now 11-1 and has won five matches in a row. This record to start the season is one of the best in team history. 

“We’re all good friends, and we click well together,” Harper said of the team’s chemistry. “I think we want to fight for one another and have the best season possible.”

Next Friday, the Vols will play the Georgia Bulldogs in Athens to start SEC play. The match begins at 2:30 p.m. ET.