Ojeda feature
FILE - Johanna Silva and head coach Alison Ojeda at the Goodfriend Tennis Center during the meet against UT Martin on Feb 2, 2018.

The No. 22 Lady Vols (2-0) started off this weekend on a high note at the Michigan Invitational, competing alongside Ohio State, TCU, and Michigan.

In singles, Tennessee won four out of its six matches. No. 76-ranked sophomore Rebeka Mertena beat TCU’s Mercedes Aristegui, 6-2, 6-2. Mertena is now 15-9 this season. Senior Johanna Silva also had a successful start to the weekend, tallying a three-set win over Stevie Kennedy, 0-6, 6-1, 1-0 (6), advancing to 7-2.

Tennessee freshman Hadley Doyle and Carly Briggs continue to make a name for themselves in their starting seasons. Doyle defeated Margaret Polk in straight sets (6-1, 6-2), and Briggs won in three sets (3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (5)) over Chloe Hule. With the wins Doyle and Briggs both have 3-0 marks in singles.

Post-doubles play, three Tennessee duos competed in singles with the Ohio State Buckeyes. The No. 15-ranked team of Kaitlin Staines and Tenika McGiffin opened with a win over Ohio State's Kolie Allen and Isabelle Boulais (6-1).

"In doubles, we are trying to take our game as a whole to another level,” head coach Alison Ojeda said. “We are talking about energy, decision-making, confidence and execution.”

A first-time duo, Julie Ball and Silva defeated Michigan’s Lanie Van Linge and Lera Patiuk, 6-3.

The Lady Vols will continue play at the Michigan Invitational on Saturday with doubles at 1 p.m. ET. followed by singles against Michigan.