Swim/Dive - Auburn/Texas

Swimmers line up prior to their heat at the double dual meet against Auburn and Texas at Allan Jones Intercollegiate Aquatic Center on Nov. 9, 2018.

In their third meet in three weeks, the Tennessee Swim and Dive team hosted the Texas men’s team and Auburn’s full squad on Friday.

Both the Tennessee men and women beat Auburn, 233-66 and 197-103, respectively.

After a victorious first away meet last week, associate coach Lance Asti had specific goals going into this important meet against Texas.

“The message was really clear coming off the bus against Purdue and Wisconsin, we pulled all the guys in, just said, ‘no matter what, I want to go toe-to-toe with these guys,” Asti said. “I want to go eye-to-eye the entire meet and not give them a single win just because of the name on their cap.”

The Tennessee men faced a tough Texas team, who are the defending national champions. The Longhorns narrowly prevailed against the Vols 156.5-143.5, with results depending on the last event, the 200-freestyle relay, which Texas won.

They started the meet with a victory in the first event, the 200-medley relay (1:27.05) with Kyle DeCoursey anchoring.

In his first home meet, DeCoursey also won the 50-freestyle (20.16).

Senior Matthew Dunphy continues to dominate the breaststroke with his first-place finishes in the 100-breastroke (54.01), and the 200-breaststroke (1:57.93).

“I mean they didn’t give anything to a guy just because he had Olympic rings tattooed on his back,” Asti said. “Our guys just stuck it to them any way they could and I’m thrilled with our guys’ performance.”

Colin Zeng still remains undefeated in both the 1-meter and 3-meter dives this season, with scores of 382.60 and 413.45, respectively.

Not even Texas’s Jordan Windle could rattle Zeng, now eight-for-eight, though they were in tight competition at NCAA’s last year.

Associate coach for the women, Ashley Jahn, also had goals set for her team, and they did not disappoint.

“We had some great stuff from just kind of everybody across the board,” Jahn said. “In our flyers, it was great to see Erika (Brown) in the 2-fly today, and some of our other flyers keep putting together better and better races.”

Erika Brown finished first in all three of her events, remaining undefeated in the nine events she has competed in so far this season.

Brown won the 200-butterfly (1:57.93), making it her fifth different event in which she finished first, showing her versatility.

She also took first in the 100-freestyle with a time of 48.82, before sweeping her signature event, the 100-butterfly (52.54), with teammate Mallory Beil coming in second (53.70).

Fellow Lady Vol, Meghan Small, also had a successful day in her individual events.

Small’s wins began with the 100-backstroke (53.14) followed by a 1-2-3 win for the Lady Vols in the 200-breaststroke headed by Small (2:14.49) with Alexis Yager in second (2:14.49) and Emily Skyes coming in third (2:14.91).

The Lady Vols had another 1-2-3 finish in the 400 IM with Tess Cieplucha (4:13.31) leading the way for Yager (4:16.73) and Small (4:17.53).

On the women’s side, Rachel Rubadue won the 1-meter dive (289.90), continuing to progress this season in preparation for peak season at the end of November, in the Tennessee Invitational.

Next week, the divers will travel to Texas for the Texas Diving Invitational (Nov. 14-16). The meet will serve as a preparation for the NCAA meet next spring, as it will be hosted by Texas.