The Vols vs. Fordham University

#4, Maria Nelson passes the ball during the game against Fordham University at Regal Stadium on August 22, 2019.

The Tennessee soccer team (6-3-1) fell to 0-2 in SEC play on the season after losing to the Auburn Tigers, 1-0 on Thursday night.

The Lady Vols started the season hot, with a dominant offense and a lockout defense, but find themselves struggling with two losses in conference.

Tennessee lost on the road at Vanderbilt (8-1) last Sunday.

The lone goal of the night came from Auburn’s Lori Locksley in the 40th minute. The Lady Vols spent the rest of the night trying to make up that deficit.

Tennessee was able to rack up 12 shots, with five of them coming on goal. Auburn, on the other hand, got off only seven shots, with four on frame. 

Lindsey Romig started and played the entirety of the match for Tennessee. The true freshman was able to get three saves, but allowed the lone goal of the night. 

The Lady Vols truly controlled the pace of this game. They lead in possession, and they were able to keep the Tigers’ shot count relatively low. Tennessee had many close chances down the stretch with many shots coming within inches of the net and the crossbar. Their defense kept the ball away from the goal most of the time and their keeper made many saves when she needed to.

Senior MA Vignola lead the way with three shot attempts, one of those being on goal. The other two were just wide of the net. MIchelle Alozie, Sonia Ochene Salón, and MacKenzie George also took shots. Alozie took two shots in only 41 minutes. 

Tennessee had chances to win the game with five shots on goal, and more than a few close shots within inches of the net. Despite coming up short, the Lady Vols’ performance was largely impressive, controlling the ball well and making few mistakes.

Tennessee looks to notch their first conference win when they return home to Regal Stadium to face Alabama on Sunday, Sept. 29 and will also be looking to extend their record 10 game home winning streak. The game will stream on SEC Network Plus. Kickoff is set for 1:00 p.m.