Vols vs. Murray State
Coach Rick Barns talking to press after the game against Murray State on Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Tennessee’s 2021 signing class added its second commitment Tuesday afternoon as the Vols’ found Kennedy Chandler a backcourt mate in four-star guard Jahmai Mashack.

Mashack is the nation’s 92ndbest player according to the 247sports composite rankings, while being a top-50 player on 247sports player rankings and rivals rankings.

The 6-foot-5 shooting guard chose the Vols over a final group of Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Oklahoma and Texas. 

Mashack becomes the first player to commit to Tennessee under Rick Barnes from the west coast. Mashack attends Etiwanda High School in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., an eastern suburb of Los Angeles. 

Assistant coach Mike Schwartz deserves a lot of credit for Mashack’s commitment, leaning on his west coast ties to gain the Vols a serious player.

With Mashack’s commitment the Vols now have the No. 19 class in the 247sports team rankings. The Vols will now turn their sights to post players to fill out the rest of the 2021 class. With Paolo Banchero choosing Duke over Tennessee and overs, look for the Vols to focus in on Jabari Smith, Charles Bediako and Ryan Mutumbo.