Softball vs Auburn

#77 Gracie Osbron throws the ball during the game against Auburn University on Sunday April 7, 2019 at the Sherri Parker Lee Stadium. 

It has been noted that the Tennessee softball team likes to put up runs, as the Lady Vols have outscored their opponents 258-82 so far this season. That continued to be the case this past weekend.

Now, the No. 9/8 Lady Vols will look to win their fifth game in a row against a reeling ETSU team on Tuesday.

Tennessee (32-8, 10-5 SEC) will travel up the road to Johnson City to take on East Tennessee State University (17-19-2), which has lost its last seven games.

The Lady Vols are coming off their fourth win in a row after an impressive showing in a sweep over conference opponent Mississippi State.

In a three-game series, Tennessee outscored Mississippi State, 23-4.

Offensively for Tennessee, freshman Kaitlin Parsons was the pilot of the attack, as she batted a .571 average, scored four runs and tallied four RBIs. She also hit her first career triple to add to her stat line.

“Kaitlin Parsons was the difference this weekend,” co-head coach Ralph Weekly said. “She was fast, she got on base, she runs the speed game. Now we have to find a place to play her on defense.”

Junior Jenna Holcomb also continued her impressive play, as she also came away with four runs scored in the series.

She credits her good string of play on sticking to fundamentals.

“Just really trying to keep it simple,” Holcomb said. “Just get on base any way I can, whether it’s a walk, or a bunt, or a slap. Just trying to get on base for my team, so the bigger hitters can score me.”

Senior Aubrey Leach continues her chase for history. After scoring four runs against Mississippi State, she is only eight runs shy of breaking Tennessee’s career record of 244 runs scored.

Not only did Tennessee light it up on offense, but it was also stingy on defense.

Ashley Rogers, an Athens, Tenn., native, gave the opposition fits in two performances last weekend.

On Friday, Rogers pitched a complete-game shutout in the circle for the Lady Vols. She fanned four batters and only allowed two hits.

On Sunday, Rogers came through again, as she pitched 5.0 scoreless innings to secure the sweep for Tennessee.

Junior Caylan Arnold had a solid outing for the Lady Vols on Saturday. She pitched five innings and limited Mississippi State to two runs on three hits in a 10-2 victory.

Perhaps Tennessee’s biggest defensive accomplishment was limiting Mississippi State’s duo of Mia Davidson and Fa Leilua.

The two came into the series with a combined 39 home runs on the season. They finished the series a combined 4-for-17 at the plate and had little impact the entire weekend.

Tennessee’s top defensive assignment on Tuesday will be ETSU’s Nikki Grupp. The junior has only struck out six times this season after 115 plate appearances. She also paces the team with a .339 batting average with 10 home runs and 39 RBIs.

The first pitch on Tuesday will be thrown at 6:00 p.m. ET. This weekend, Tennessee will travel to Athens to take on SEC rival Georgia in a conference series.