Golf at Vanderbilt

The Tennessee men’s golf team competed at Vanderbilt in the Mason Rudolph Collegiate through April 5 and April 7, 2019.

The No. 22 University of Tennessee men’s golf team is tied for seventh after the opening round of the Shoal Creek Invitational with four players left in the field to finish the opening round.

"Our success is determined by our attitudes and toughness,” head coach Brennan Webb said. “These are the things we can control, and we need to do a much better job tomorrow."

Tennessee has four players who were unable to finish their first round because play at Shoal Creek Country Club was suspended due to darkness at 8:15 p.m.

The Vols are currently 10 strokes ahead of No. 13 Auburn and are just sitting one shot back of Kentucky. At this time, there is just one week in between this tournament and the Southeastern Conference Tournament.

Hunter Wolcott is currently leading Tennessee through the first 18 holes of play. Wolcott also entered the tournament as the No. 88 player in the country, according to the latest Golfstat rankings.

On Monday, Wolcott shot a 71(-1) in the opening round, which has him tied for eighth and just four shots off of the lead entering the second round. Wolcott got into fourth in part due to his 15 pars and two birdies. He did have one bogey, which came on hole No.1.

"He played a very solid boring round of golf,” Webb said. “(He) wasn't bothered by the pace of play and maintained his focus for the entire round."

Wolcott was one of four Tennessee players to have birdied on the par-5 3rd while also carding a birdie on the par-3 13th.

Wolcott has earned three top-25 finishes in four starts this spring, which dates back to his first collegiate win at The Hayt.

Tennessee’s other four players Brayden Garrison, Rhys Nevin, Spencer Cross and Tyer Johnson are all tied for 44th at 4-over-par.

Alabama and LSU are currently tied for first with scores of three-under-par (285).

Alabama has two golfers who are among the top 10 and four that rank inside the top 16. Prescott Butler is tied for sixth overall with a score of 2-under through 70. Josh Sedeno finished below par as well, as he shot 1-under through 71. Wilson Furr and Jake DeZoort are both at even and tied for 16th place.

LSU possesses the top two individual leaders. First is Philip Barbaree who shot 5-under through 67 in round one. Barbaree sunk seven birdies, which is a personal best and the most in the first round by any player in the tournament.

Second is Michael Sanders after shooting 4-under through 68. Sanders birdied four straight holes, Nos. 14-17, after starting the round on the back nine.

"It's a championship course, and it will expose your weaknesses when the conditions are tough, but today was as easy it will ever play with no wind and lift, clean and place, and we did not take advantage,” Webb said.

The final groups will finish the first round at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday morning with the second round starting right after.