Coming off last weekend's sweep of Louisville, the Lady Vol varsity crew will head to California for the San Diego Crew Classic on Mission Bay.

Tennessee will race twice on Saturday with the varsity taking on University of California-Davis, Kansas State, University of California-Irvine, Rice, Santa Clara and St. Mary's, while the junior varsity rowers will face off against Notre Dame, Clemson, Virginia, Orange Coast and California.

Head coach Lisa Glenn said the variety of competition gives her squad a chance to focus on its own progress.

We're looking to take the next step, Glenn said. We're racing so many different schools and so many different types of schools that the only thing we can really do is focus on what's going to make our boats faster.

To do that, Glenn said the team will focus on its mental outlook.

It's a combination of power and speed, Glenn said. The power and fitness they have now is what they've got. They got it all over the last four or five months. What's going to translate into the boat being faster is them working better as a team, people stepping up at the right time during the race, quickness and just the skill of the rowing stroke.

The novice boats will stay in Knoxville and scrimmage the men's crew team Saturday on Lake Loudoun.