June 12, 2016 marked the worst shooting in U.S. history after a gunman opened fire at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Fl. Fifty people were killed and dozens more were critically injured.

While officials are still debating whether this attack should be classified as a terrorist attack or a hate crime, it's apparent that this was an unimaginable, heinous crime that cannot go unaddressed.

Many U.S. organizations are rallying in support of those affected by the shooting. And, although Knoxville is geographically removed, there are still ways you can help Orlando, your own community, the LGBTQ community and yourself.

On Sunday night, June 12, locals organized a Candlelight Vigil in Krutch Park, and Monday, June 13, at 6 p.m., the UTK Pride Ambassadors hosted a Gathering of Support, Healing and Peace on the main floor of Hodges Library where counselors will be on hand. This coming weekend is Knoxville's Pride Fest.

At a time when our state has undervalued diversity, now more than ever, Knoxville's LGBTQ community needs your support.

This is not meant to serve as an article covering the candlelight vigil held Sunday night. This is a small letter from the summer editorial staff and reflects the thoughts of the Editor-in-chief and Managing Editor.

The Daily Beacon will be updating this page as more events are organized.