Staff Report Graphic
Sean Patterson

This morning, UTPD announced the hiring of a new assistant chief: Sean Patterson. 

Patterson is currently a lieutenant at the New York City Police Department and has over 20 years of law enforcement experience. 

“We are excited to have Sean join us at UTPD. His experience managing large events will translate well here at UT,” said Troy Lane, UT associate vice chancellor for public safety and chief of police in a press release.“I was particularly impressed with his personal references, especially those from the Police Executive Research Forum, where he has assisted with curriculum development and delivery in a wide array of areas including critical incident response, police use of force and de-escalation techniques.”

Patterson has served as safety officer at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade since 2015 where he ensures the safety of the parade route, balloons and floats. He is also a retired Navy chief petty officer.

Patterson will be moving to Knoxville with his wife, Anaida, and his two children, Liam and Erin.