Thrift shopping benefits more than tight budgets

A sign marks the newly added items to Goodwill's racks.

October: the month filled with pumpkin patches, apple picking, fall scented candles and, most importantly, Halloween. It’s the holiday where it is acceptable for children to fill pillow cases to the brim with candy and adults to embrace their youthful side.

Knoxville’s own local Goodwill brings a competitive edge to the spooky season with a costume contest for all ages. The contest began on October 1 with the Knoxville Goodwill’s instagram account (@goodwillknoxville) accepting photo entries. It is time to start thinking about your winning look, as the entry window closes on November 2.

The head of Goodwill at Knoxville’s marketing department, Karen Conley, shares the prize for this year’s competition.

“Breakout Games is an escape room who donated the prize for the competition located in Knoxville,” Conley said.

The prize has Knoxville buzzing, as sophomore Libby Larner explains.

“I really love escape rooms because they are challenging, fun, and a good way to bond with your friends. It’s like a real life puzzle and there is such a rush when you figure out one of the clues and something moves,” Larner said. “It’s super amazing that Goodwill is giving out an escape room as the grand prize. I know it will make a lot of people excited to participate.”

Goodwill will give away four tickets to Zoo Knoxville to the first prize winner as well. These winners can look forward to seeing their favorite animals alongside their friends and family.

With three ways to enter, participating in the contest is easier than ever. Post your creative costume to Facebook on Goodwill Industries-Knoxville, Inc’s page or post your picture on Instagram, and do not forget to tag @goodwillknoxville. If social media is not quite your style, entries are being accepted by email to marketingteam@gwiktn.org.

Conley divulged key information for success in the contest.

“The contest helps bring awareness to the great costumes you can make on your own at a fraction of the price of buying a new one. All ages are welcome to participate in the contest. Last year, an adult scary clown and two children dressed as a superhero and Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas won,” Conley said.