• Updated
  • Comments

Over 50 students peaceably assembled on the lawn outside of the Humanities and Social Sciences building at noon on Wednesday. It was declared a “sit-in” in protest of a drafted Supreme Court opinion that was leaked on May 2, which if left unchanged would overturn 1973’s decision Roe v. Wade.

• Updated
  • Comments

On Sunday, a group of independently organized students marched in a loop from the amphitheater at the center of campus to the Rock and back in protest of the leaked Supreme Court opinion which, if unchanged, would overturn Roe v. Wade and could trigger a ban on abortion in the state of Tennessee.

• Updated
  • Comments

The Spring 2022 Research Seminar Series ended Tuesday with a final presentation that featured Laura DeFurio, Erin Darby and Katie Wiley, each representing either undergraduate research or career development. During this meeting, these women highlighted skills that one can gain through underg…

• Updated
  • Comments

Socializing as a college student can be a great way to relax and meet others. However, it can sometimes be difficult to navigate the college-party atmosphere safely. 11% of women and 6% of men have fallen victim to drink spiking, and this number continues to grow each year.

• Updated
  • Comments

UT Gardens presented their annual Spring Spectacular Plant Sale, the largest of the year, on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. This sale included an overflow of herbs, edible plants, native plants, perennials and annuals for sun and shade, house plants, trees and shrubs.

Sustainability is something that is vital to our environment and for our own well-being. It can be difficult to do as a college student, especially because some efforts can get expensive. But, here are some things that we all can do to try and promote a better living environment as well as t…

• Updated
  • Comments

With the start of April, Earth Day is fast approaching — a day created to bring awareness to environmental protection, sustainability and humankind’s impact on the planet. While UTK has several programs dedicated to sustainability, other universities in the SEC are environmentally conscious …

• Updated
  • Comments

As the weather warms up in Knoxville and the flowers begin blooming around campus, pollinators are bound to follow. Here are just a few local pollinators you can find in Knoxville along with a handful of ideas about how you can help these critters do their jobs.

• Updated
  • Comments

Each year, Earth Day inspires people to become involved in sustainability initiatives, but these inspirations can be quickly lost as the day ends and celebrations cease. Behind the scenes, however, student organizations such as Students Promoting Environmental Action in Knoxville (SPEAK) are…

• Updated
  • Comments

The Department of Psychology hosted Melanie Brewster, associate professor of counseling psychology at Columbia University, to give a lecture entitled “Atheists in America: The Marginalization (and Privilege) of a Growing Minority Group" on Friday afternoon in the Austin Peay Building.

• Updated
  • Comments

The McClung Museum of Natural History and Culture hosted a unique movie screening for its “Night at The Museum” event on Friday, March 25. While the main event of the evening was a screening of the 2006 film by the same name, the McClung Student Advisory Board had lots more planned for the a…

• Updated
  • Comments

Exactly two years ago, Chancellor Donde Plowman sent an email to UT students announcing that they would not return to campus after spring break because of the COVID-19 outbreak. That same day, March 11, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared that COVID-19 was a pandemic.

• Updated
  • Comments

During the last week of February, the CDC outlined new guidelines based on the risk levels in each state stating that most Americans living in medium or low risk areas can take a break from masks. On Thursday, the CDC said that 90% of Americans live in areas where masks should be optional.

• Updated
  • Comments

On Tuesday evening, the Howard H. Baker Jr. Center for Public Policy hosted a public panel entitled “What to Know about the Russia-Ukraine Crisis," featuring UT faculty familiar with issues surrounding Russia’s recent invasion of Ukraine.

• Updated
  • Comments

While we are always glad to have a break from nonstop work and stress, we must all return to it eventually as college students. With this return, something else that arrives yet again is the post-holiday blues.

• Updated
  • Comments

After nearly two months away for the holidays, merely thinking about returning to school can prompt unwanted levels of stress. Words like “studying,” “homework” and “exams” sound off alarms and make us wish we could return to a time when those things seemed so far away.

We're always interested in hearing about news in our community. Let us know what's going on!