• Updated
  • 0

Last year, the University of Tennessee’s “lottery system” was put into effect to aid in choosing which students would receive on-campus housing and who would have to find alternatives. With the 2022 fall semester bringing in the most freshman ever anticipated, there have been greater challen…

• Updated
  • 0

In a wide-ranging interview on Sept. 1 in The Daily Beacon office, Chancellor Donde Plowman discussed her memories of the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, the power of CliftonStrengths, her proposals for academic restructuring and the growth of the student body, which is now at a record si…

• Updated
  • 0

During a summer when UT works to fill several positions vacated during the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as add new administrative positions such as assistant vice chancellor for leadership and engagement, the Division of Student Life announced the hiring of three new directors.

• Updated
  • 0

UT buildings will be without heated water or air for eight days, according to a notice from Facilities Services. From June 4 through June 12, the campus Steam Plant will be shut down to “conduct maintenance and make repairs at the Steam Plant and across the steam distribution system,” accord…

• Updated
  • 0

Byron Hughes, currently dean of students at Virginia Tech, will become dean of students and assistant vice chancellor for Student Life at UT beginning July 1.

• Updated
  • 0

Finals are here and so are on-campus move outs. Residence halls are working with residents to make sure they are ready to move out and to make sure that they know what they can do to prepare.

• Updated
  • 0

Socializing as a college student can be a great way to relax and meet others. However, it can sometimes be difficult to navigate the college-party atmosphere safely. 11% of women and 6% of men have fallen victim to drink spiking, and this number continues to grow each year.

• Updated
  • 0

Stalking is a very serious issue that affects approximately 7.5 million people each year in the United States, according to the Stalking Resource Center. College students are at the highest risk of stalking and are overall under-informed about what stalking is and how often it actually happe…

• Updated
  • 0

After hours of cold, rainy weather, the sun decided to shine just in time for The United Residence Halls Council (URHC) to host its annual carnival in the Humanities and Social Sciences Plaza on Tuesday evening. From 6-8 p.m., students were able to experience the feel of a true carnival with…

• Updated
  • 0

University Housing presented a “Spring Sampler” for students to attend Tuesday evening in the Presidential Court. The organization had set up tables that were filled with traditional signs of spring arriving on campus.

• Updated
  • 0

After nearly two months away for the holidays, merely thinking about returning to school can prompt unwanted levels of stress. Words like “studying,” “homework” and “exams” sound off alarms and make us wish we could return to a time when those things seemed so far away.

• Updated
  • 0

In the spring of 2020, just as campus closed and the long COVID-19 lockdown began, the executive members of SGA, including then-Student Body President Natalie Campbell, put forward a win-win proposal. The new program, called “Donations for Citations,” would allow students to donate food and …

• Updated
  • 0

With Halloweekend less than a week away, we have officially entered spooky season. How better to celebrate this eerily wonderful time than by decorating your home away from home? Due to a number of factors, such as space and safety precautions, there are limitations as to how extensively you…

• Updated
  • 0

On Friday, SGA held an in-person town hall meeting at the Student Union with UT President Boyd and Chancellor Donde Plowman to let students air their concerns following Boyd’s support for and subsequent withdrawal from a fundraiser for Tennessee Sen. Mark Pody, who openly advocates against L…

• Updated
  • 0

On Friday, Sept. 17, the University of Tennessee hosted a dedication ceremony to honor the legacy of UT alumnus Theotis Robinson, Jr. and Rita Sanders Geier, both of whom were instrumental in Tennessee’s fight for racial justice in higher education. The former Orange and White Halls, located…

• Updated
  • 0

If you’ve been to the Student Union since the start of the semester, you likely know of Blenz, the new smoothie bowl restaurant on campus. What you may not know is where Blenz originated — and perhaps you’d rather not, especially if you’re already a die-hard fan of the wide variety of coffee…

• Updated
  • 0

The new West Campus Dining Facility has fed thousands of students during opening week. With the rapid pace of students and numerous food options, it is no wonder the establishment is popular. West Dining is the only dining hall open during the day and is based in an optimal location neighbor…

• Updated
  • 0

On Aug. 17, a few days before classes started, a student posted a troubling photo to the “r/UTK” page on Reddit. The photo shows a long line of students crowding the stairwell in front of the entrance to Presidential Court Café, waiting to be let into the dining facility.

• Updated
  • 0

A huge concern for incoming college students is navigating the different dining halls and finding ways to use your meal plan effectively. For this semester, and possibly longer, UT dining is looking extremely different than before.

• Updated
  • 0

While freshman students who live on-campus are required to have an unlimited dining plan, all other undergraduate students have the freedom to invest in as small or large of a meal plan as they desire. With a variety of options to choose from, selecting the right plan can be difficult. Here’…

• 0

For freshmen who joined a fraternity or sorority just a few months ago, living in the on-campus chapter housing is a very pragmatic option in terms of economics, meal plan and convenience.

• Updated
  • 0

As the new semester starts, many UT students are settling in to their first-ever off-campus apartments. This living situation comes with a lot more independence than the dorms – and a whole new set of expenses.

• Updated
  • 0

Rising Roll Gourmet Cafe opened its first Tennessee location on the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, campus and appeared to draw a crowd the first day of classes.