Female-driven comedies are important because of their lack of representation in modern comedy writing and here are four excellent examples of why female-driven comedy works.

1. “The Mindy Project” (2012-2016)

You know “The Mindy Project” has potential when it is written by, created by, and starring Mindy Kaling from “The Office” (2005-2013) fame. With a goofy sense of humor and outlandish characters, this romantic comedy has a lot to offer.

Though the show has come under fire for the predominant focus on the romantic life of Mindy, its focus on the plight of a woman of color and the catch-22 of having a child and a career is a perspective desperately needed on television. The first three seasons of this romantic comedy were broadcasted on FOX, and HULU has picked it up for a fourth and fifth season.

2. “Broad City” (2014-2016)

From 2009-2011, “Broad City” was a YouTube show run by the then unknown Ilana Glazer and Abbi Jacobson. When Amy Poehler saw it, it then became the highest rated 18-24 demographic show on Comedy Central.

Jacobson and Glazer both act and write in this unique comedy about two women in their twenties living in New York City and all the adventures they have. This show's strength is in the important friendship between these two women, and its progressive attitudes toward sex, drugs, and basically everything else.

3. “Crazy Ex Girlfriend” (2015-2016)

A poignant title and relatively unknown cast have already taken comedy musical “Crazy Ex Girlfriend” to the Golden Globes in their first season on the CW. Impressed yet? You should be.

Written by and starring Rachel Bloom from YouTube, each episode contains two to three songs that are hilarious, well-written and catchy as hell. This show does an excellent job of portraying mental illness and fantasizing relationships in a way that’s relatable and powerful. I’d recommend watching it to anyone I know.

4. “Angie Tribeca” (2015-2016)

Created by Steve Carell and his wife Nancy, Angie Tribeca is a satire of procedural police shows with Rashida Jones as the title character. What the show lacks in additional female representation it nearly makes up for with a powerful performance from Jones that isn’t dependent on romantic involvements or sexualization of her character. Also, it’s absurdly funny and clever. The third season debuts on TBS this fall, and it’s one you don’t want to miss.

JoAnna is a junior in journalism and can be reached at jbrooke3@vols.utk.edu