Swim/Dive - Kentucky/Indiana Double Meet

Zhipeng (Colin) Zeng in the 1 meter springboard during the double meet against Kentucky and Indiana at Allan Jones Intercollegiate Aquatic Center on Oct. 27, 2017.

The Tennessee men’s and women’s diving team spent the past three days competing in the Texas Hall of Fame Diving Invitational in Austin, Texas.

Wednesday featured the men’s 1-meter springboard competition, where senior Zhipeng (Colin) Zeng captured the victory over a crowded field.

“In an outstanding, nationally competitive field of eight divers, Colin was the winner by 11 points over Texas' Jordan Windle,” diving coach Dave Parrington said. “He was a solid performer all day in the prelims and in the finals tonight.”

Freshman Matthew Wade turned in a strong performance, narrowly missing the finals and finishing 10th in the prelims with a score of 296.90.

The women’s team competed in the 3-meter springboard with senior Rachel Rubadue turning in the best performance for the Vols, finishing 27th with a score of 272.60.

“On the women's side, Rachel Rubadue was consistent, but a little off the mark,” Parrington said. “Going against this type of field, you have to be a little bit sharper, but nevertheless, I'm still pleased with her performance.”

The teams switched roles Thursday, as the men competed in the 3-meter and women in the 1-meter.

Zeng finished third in the preliminary, before struggling in the finals, finishing the event in eighth place. Wade continued a strong week by placing 12th in the preliminary. The strong week is encouraging for the young diver from Mallorca, Spain.

"I'm very pleased for Matt. As a freshman, this is a huge eye opener for him,” Parrington said. “He missed his second to last dive, but otherwise he's knocking on the door for the final and possibly in it. I'm really pleased with his attitude and strength. This will be an invaluable experience for him.”

Rubadue once again led the Lady Vols on Thursday, finishing in 18th in the 1-meter. She was followed by sophomore Ana Celaya Hernandez, who finished 26th.

Both the men’s and women’s teams competed in the platform event on Friday, with familiar faces leading the way once again.

Rubadue led the way for the Lady Vols, finishing in third place. She was followed closely by Hernandez, whose strong showing was good enough for seventh place.

Zheng once again performed well for the men’s team, as he finished in second place on platform.

The Tennessee swim and dive team will return home to Jones Aquatic Center next, as they host the Tennessee Invitational from November 29 to December 1.