Lady Vols vs. Tennessee State
Head Coach Kellie Harper coaches her players from the sidelines during the game against Tennessee State on Thursday, November 14, 2019 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Tennessee got its second conference win in Oxford, MS over Ole Miss on Thursday. The Lady Vols demolished the Lady Rebels 84-28, finishing with a 56-point win.

Tennessee continued their winning streak on Sunday, as they took care of Georgia 73-56. With the win, the Lady Vols moved into third place in the conference.

Here’s how Tennessee graded out.

Backcourt

Rennia Davis played 61 of the 80 minutes this week, finishing with 34 points, 14-24 from the field and 75% from three. Davis finished with 13 rebounds.

Jordan Horston was on the court for 58 minutes of game time. She netted 25 points and was 11-26 in field goals. She was poor from outside the arc, shooting 20%, but pulled down 15 rebounds.

Jazzmine Massengill played 54 minutes and scored 10 points. She shot 2-10 from open court but was 66.7% when attempting from three.

Grade: C+

Frontcourt

Lou Brown, played 50 minutes this week, ending the period with 14 points. In the Ole Miss game, she completed a single field goal on four attempts. In the Georgia game, Brown was 5 of 7 and 2 of 3 from three. She had a single rebound in each game.

Tamari Key played 47 minutes and was 9 of 15 at shooting. She didn’t attempt a 3-point shot but she was able to add four points from free throws.

Grade: B-

Offense

The Lady Vols’ shooting percentages this week were some of the best they have had all season. At Ole Miss, they shot a solid 49.3% in the field, and 40% from beyond the arc. At the free-throw line, Tennessee shot an impressive 92.3%, missing only a single free-throw.

At home against Georgia, the Lady Vols completed an impressive 51.9% from the open field. Tennessee actually shot even better from 3-point range, with a 66.7% rate. The Lady Vols continued their streak of strong free-throw shooting at a 75% conversion rate.

Grade: A

Defense

Tennessee’s defense was lockdown in the game against Ole Miss. The Lady Vols were able to hold the Lady Rebels to single digit scoring in three of the four quarters, including only two points in the fourth quarter. Tennessee also held Ole Miss to shooting 18.5%.

The Lady Vols allowed Georgia to shoot 39.0%, but when attempting from outside the arc, the Bulldogs only converted 19.0%. Tennessee also combined for eight blocks and 27 defensive rebounds.

Grade: A

Bench

Jessie Rennie was the top player off the bench in the Ole Miss game, pulling 11 points and shooting 100% in 18 minutes. Rennie was 3-3 from beyond the arc and 2 of 2 at the free-throw line. Normal sixth women Rae Burrell had an unusually poor game, going 2 of 9 and only earning two free throws. This game featured more play by the non-regular players due to the blowout nature of the game.

The bench did not factor a lot into the Georgia game, as other than the starters and Burrell, the other four only played 25 minutes, added two points, and pulled down four rebounds together.

Grade: B-

Coaching

The Lady Vols dominated Ole Miss, as mentioned above, and a margin like that requires not only a disparity in talent, but also good coaching. A young team, like Tennessee is, can’t put up the score they did without having someone on the sideline organizing the team well.

In the Georgia game, Lady Vols got many shots simply by finding the open women. This obviously the result of a well-coached and aware team.

The downside was that Coach Harper to appeared to be bested by her opposing coaches in halftime adjustments. Granted, Harper seems to scout well so her team's control the first half and set themselves up well for the second. 

Grade: B+

Overall

Despite inconsistency by individual players, the collective effort of the team in the past two games has earned two solid team wins. With a team as young as the Lady Vols, and new coach, repetition will lead to improvements and better consistency. The outlook is positive for Tennessee fans.

Grade: B+