Women's Basketball vs LSU

Evina Westbrook, #2, during game against LSU on Jan. 27, 2019 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

For the time being, the Tennessee women’s basketball program is without a head coach after the firing of Holly Warlick more than a week ago.

On Friday, per a report from The Knoxville News Sentinel's Blake Toppmeyer, the Lady Vols found out that they may also be without one of their standout players in sophomore guard Evina Westbrook, who is entering the NCAA Transfer Portal.

The transfer portal was instituted by the NCAA in the fall of 2018 and allows student-athletes across all sports to enter their name and information into a database that can be accessed by administrators from other programs.

The news did not come completely unexpected. Westbrook had voiced frustration with the program following their NCAA Women’s Tournament first round loss to No. 6 seed UCLA back on March 23, even going far as saying that changes needed to be made.

“I think just off the court stuff,” Westbrook said from her locker when asked what Tennessee needed to change in the coming offseason. “Steps need to be taken with our staff, and just overall, this team.”

When asked to expand on the issues happening off of the court, Westbrook responded, “I won’t say.” 

Westbrook came to Knoxville by way of Salem, Oregon, as part of Warlick’s 2017 signing class. She was also a McDonald’s All-American and the No. 2 rated prospect in that class, according to ESPN. 

During her sophomore campaign, Westbrook averaged over 14 points and 5.3 assists while leading the team in scoring with a total of 463 points. 

While entering one’s name into the transfer portal does not mean that they cannot return to the program they are transferring from, Westbrook still has a redshirt season available and would have to sit out a season unless a waiver from the NCAA is granted.

Follow The Daily Beacon for updates on Westbrook and the Lady Vols' head coaching search.