The Lady Vols vs. Central Arkansas
Rae Burrell, #12, guards a Central Arkansas player during the game at Thompson-Boling Arena on Thursday, November 7, 2019.

The Tennessee women’s basketball team is set to play host Tennessee State on Thursday at 7 p.m. at Thompson-Boling Arena.

The Lady Vols are coming off a 74-63 marquee win against the No.15 Notre Dame Fighting Irish in South Bend, Indiana.

Undefeated at 3-0 and an early season signature win under their belt, Tennessee will look to continue that success against the in-state Tigers.

In the win over Notre Dame, the Lady Vols were carried by Rennia Davis’ career night as she dropped 33 points and recorded 10 rebounds while earning her second double-double just three games into the season. Davis also drained a career high five 3-pointers in the contest.

Freshman tandem Jordan Horston and Tamari Key each tallied more than 10 points against the Fighting Irish with 12 and 11 points, respectively.

Jazmine Massengill provided a much needed presence for Tennessee under the basket as she pulled down 13 boards and was able to distribute the ball at a nice clip as she finished with nine assists.

Both stats were career highs for Massengill. She also blocked four shots on defense.

Tennessee was able to impose their will on Notre Dame all night, out-rebounding the Fighting Irish 55-28. That 55 mark is above their current average which is currently at 52.7 rebounds per game. The Lady Vols also blocked 12 shots, which tied for fourth all-time in shots blocked in a single game.

As for Tennessee State, the Tigers come to Knoxville having played just one game this season.

Their first outing resulted in a win against Wilberforce University. They won that match-up handedly, 83-65 and to start off 1-0, the first time that has happened since 2012-2013.

Tennessee State saw nine of their players score five or more points in that win while also out-rebounding Wilberforce 48-37 and forcing 30 turnovers.

The Tigers’ team consists of eight returning players and six newcomers.

Returning is Taylor Roberts, who was Tennessee State’s top scorer a season ago. Last season, Roberts averaged 12.5 points per game and 3.6 rebounds per game coming off of the bench.

Tennessee State is led by third-year head coach Jessica Kern. Kern has a 6-25 record with the Tigers and is 73-131 record overall in her eight-year coaching career.

Tennessee has yet to lose a game against Tennessee State in their five times they have played.

The last time they met, No. 22 Tennessee won the game 86-36 in Knoxville.

Thursday marks the first time that the two teams teams have played each other with neither team being ranked.

During their five game span, Tennessee has averaged 99.0 points per game with their lowest total coming in their last game, which stood at 86.

The Lady Vols’ defense has allowed Tennessee State to score an average of 47.8 points per game. The lowest total they allowed was 36, which came during their last time playing.