Lady Vols vs Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Jordan Horston, #25, passing to Rennia Davis, #0, during the game against the Arkansas-Pine Bluff Lady Lions on Tuesday, November 26, 2019 in Thompson-Boling Arena.

The Tennessee Lady Vols welcomed the Georgia Lady Bulldogs to Thompson-Boling Arena as Tennessee was able to defeat Georgia, 73-56.

Starting off the semester strong

Adding the strong play of the team, Lady Vols fans showed out in the first home game since the start of the spring semester. 

Thompson-Boling Arena’s lower bowl was packed in the second half of the Tennessee basketball weekend doubleheader featuring the Lady Vols after Saturday’s last-second win by the men’s team. 

The loudest point of the game came mid-fourth quarter, when following a Lou Brown three to go up 16 points, the Lady Bulldogs called for a timeout, which resulted in a thunderous ovation from the Tennessee faithful.

Stellar shooting

The Lady Vols shot the ball very efficiently in this matchup, including strong free-throw shooting after some early season struggles in that department. They finished shooting 51.9% from the field. Oddly, they finished with a better record in three-pointers, shooting 66.7% from outside the arc. 

Lastly, but certainly importantly, Tennessee was able to convert 75% of their free-throw attempts, an improvement from the beginning of the season. The Lady Vols shot the ball even better in the first half, but the game-control style of play in the second half brought down the percentages.

“We took open shots,” Tennessee coach Kellie Harper said. “We found people and knocked them (shots) down. The players have been getting in the gym, getting a lot of shots up, as they have been doing all year, so hopefully it’s paying off.”

Solid play from the top four

Tennessee’s production was led primarily by four players, who together compiled 56 points, 16 assists, five steals, and seven blocks. 

Rennia Davis and Jordan Horston were the biggest contributors, each playing 34 minutes and lighting up the stat sheet. Davis led the team with 17 points and four assists, while adding two blocks and a steal on the defensive end. Horston led the team in assists with seven and scoring 14 points of her own, as well as registering a block. 

Tamari Key and Lou Brown rounded out the top four, each getting over thirty minutes on the court. Key registered 13 points, two assists, and two steals, as leading the team in blocks with four. Brown was the fourth double-digit scorer, finishing with 12 points, 3 assists, and two steals.

After the game, Davis was asked about this team’s ability to get contributions from a wide variety of players.

“I think that’s going to be a huge part for us,” Davis said. “As we go along with this incase any team tries to key in on one specific player or one specific aspect of this team, we have multiple options so that’s good for us to know.”

Up Next

The Lady Vols are back in action this Thursday, Jan. 16 against Florida. Tip-off is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. in Gainesville.