Lady Vols Basketball vs Ole Miss
Lou Brown, Coach Harper, and Kamera Harris during the senior recognition before the game against Ole Miss on February 27, 2020 in Thompson-Boling Arena.

Thursday night, Tennessee women’s basketball hosted Ole Miss in Thompson-Boling Arena. The Lady Vols were able to grab the win over the Rebels on senior night by a score of the 77-66.

Here are some of the storylines.

Seniors finish their Thompson-Boling career right.

Lou Brown and Kamara Harris were able to go out on senior night with a win to cap their Tennessee home careers. Despite a poor offensive performance tonight, Brown finishes a solid season for the Lady Vols. The Aussie was an important senior presence on very young team in Kelly Harper’s first year as the head coach at Tennessee. Another key veteran piece is Harris, who picked up her first career start in tonight’s win.

“I think these two seniors have been consistent.” coach Kellie Harper said “they have been coachable. They have handled the transition really well. I appreciate them and what they bring daily. And also, you know just how the players react to them and look to them. I appreciate their maturity and what they’re able to do off the court as well.”

Reliable Rennia

The star of the game was the always reliable Rennia Davis, who led the Lady Vols with yet another double-double in 35 minutes on the court. The sophomore scored a team-leading 19 points and pulled down a team-leading 11 rebounds, eight of which came on the defensive end, creating new offensive possessions. For the game, Davis shot 45.2% from the field and 50% from behind the arc. Also crucial, Davis had four assists on the night and drew five fouls while only committing one foul herself.

“I thought in the first half I just being pretty passive” Davis said “And in the second half … me and my teammates were not really paying attention to (distractions) and played our game”

Stellar Ole Miss shooting

The Rebels shot the ball incredibly well in tonight’s contest. Ole Miss’ team had a team shooting percentage of 37.7. The Rebels also shot 37.5% from three-point range, nearly as well as from inside the arc. The leading scoring for Ole Miss was Deja Cage, who grabbed 22 points and scored more points than anyone else on the court for either team. As a team, the Rebels sunk 12 three-pointers, with Cage scoring six of those long-range buckets. Unfortunately, the strong shooting by Ole Miss was for naught as the Rebels came up short to drop to 0-15 in the conference.

Ole Miss coach Yolett McPhee-McCuin was asked whether her team’s three point was by design or was that just where the open shots were.

“(someone) asked me earlier ‘Coach, how are you going to plan on scoring in the paint?’ ” McPhee-McCuin said “ ‘Did you see Tennessee’s roster? We’re not going in the paint, unless it’s in transition.’”

The Lady Vols close out the regular season this Sunday when they travel to Alabama to face Auburn. The game set to tip off at 3 p.m. ET on the Lady Vol Network. Parts of the contest can be seen on SEC Network as they ‘Whiparound’ to all seven SEC game that will be played simultaneously.