The Lady Vols vs. Central Arkansas
Rennia Davis, #0, passes the ball during the game against Central Arkansas at Thompson-Boling Arena on Thursday, November 7, 2019.

Behind Rennia Davis’ career-tying 33 points, the Tennessee women’s basketball team (3-0) upset the No. 16 Notre Dame Fighting Irish (2-1) 74-63 at the Joyce Center in South Bend, Indiana on Monday night.

The win was the Lady Vols’ first over a ranked opponent since the 2011-12 season, and their first road win at Notre Dame since 2008.

Davis also recorded 10 rebounds, notching her second double-double of the season and the 20th of her UT career.

Freshmen tandem Jordan Horston and Jordan Key followed up Davis’ performance with 12 and 11 points, respectively.

Sophomore Jazmine Massengill lead the team in rebounding with 13, along with nine assists.The double-digit rebounds and nine assists were a career high for Massengill.

After a back-and-forth first quarter, Tennessee closed out the opening period on a 5-0 run to take a 21-14 advantage.

In the second quarter, the Lady Vols extended their lead to ten, 26-16 thanks to Massengill lay up in transition.

Notre Dame cut that lead to five thanks to a 7-0 run, but Massengill snuffed out the Irish’s momentum with another layup that sparked a 4-0 Tennessee run to go back up by nine, 32-23.

The Lady Vols overcame another quick Notre Dame run with strong defense as they took a 36-28 lead into the intermission.

The start of the second half belonged to Davis, who hit back-to-back shots from beyond the arc to make an early third quarter statement with a 42-28 lead only minutes into the period.

Tennessee lead by as much as 54-37 in the third quarter, but a Notre Dame momentum shift out of a timeout allowed the Irish to cut into that lead again.

Kasiyahna Kushkituah got the Lady Vols back into a rhythm with a blocked shot and four points on two possessions to close out the quarter with a 60-47 lead.

In the fourth quarter, Key and Horston scored Tennessee’s first five points to extend the Lady Vols’ lead to 17, but Notre Dame clapped back with a 6-0 run of their own to cut the lead to 11.

After a series of turnovers and missed shots, that 11 point lead held until the 3:38 mark when Davis broke the stalemate with a 10-footer to put them up 13 points late.

Tennessee didn’t look back and dominated possession in the final minutes to run out the clock with a double-digit lead.

The Lady Vols return to Thompson-Boling Arena on Thursday as they play host to Tennessee State. Tip-off is slated for 7 p.m., and the game can be seen on SEC Network Plus.