Lady Vols vs Alabama
Rae Burrell, #12, takes the ball down the court during the game against Alabama on Monday, January 20, 2020 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Lady Vols Top Commodores on the Road

The No.22 ranked Lady Vols kicked off their three-game road trip on Thursday with a win over Vanderbilt in Nashville by a score of 78-69. Tennessee improved to 17-4 with its win and 7-1 in SEC play.

The Lady Vols were led by junior Rennia Davis who racked up 22 points and seven rebounds over 38 minutes. This marks 19 straight games that Davis has reached double digits. Tennessee’s second highest scorer was guard Jazmine Massengill who tallied 14 points on 67% shooting from the field.

The Commodores highest number in the box score came from freshman Koi Love who had 16 points on the night but only shot 39% on field goal attempts. The ‘Dores were also helped by Kiara Pearl who had 13 points, and Chelsie Hall who had 12.

Tennessee struggled out of the gate as they ended the first quarter down 15-21 to Vanderbilt, but their defense showed up in the second as they shut down the Commodores and held them to just 9 points in the entire quarter to finish the half leading 35-30. The Lady Vols defense held the Commodores to 15% shooting in the second quarter as only 3 of Vanderbilt’s 20 shot attempts went in. Meanwhile, Tennessee’s offense made the most of its opportunities as the team shot 67% in the second quarter and were a perfect 100% from behind the arc.

From halftime on the Lady Vols never let up and never let the Commodores gain any ground. This was largely in part due to Rennia Davis exploding for 16 of her 22 points in the second half and the Lady Vols sending back eight of Vanderbilt’s shots in the second half.

As a team, Tennessee shot 52% from the field and a much better 82% from the free throw line compared to the Lady Vols’ last two games where they struggled mightily from the charity stripe against UCONN and LSU. The Lady Vols also seemed to get over the rebounding woes they had in the LSU game as they outrebounded the ‘Dores 43-34.

Some Lady Vols seemed to be hitting stride over the last few games such as sophomore Rae Burrell who notched 11 points off the bench on Thursday, which makes it the ninth time she has made it into double digits this season. Jazmine Massengill’s 14 points was the sixth time this season she has made it over the ten-point mark.

The Lady Vols will be back in action on Sunday afternoon as they take on the top-ranked South Carolina Gamecocks in Columbia at 1 p.m. ET on ESPN 2.