Women's Basketball vs. Vanderbilt

#10, Meme Jackson, goes for a layup against the Lady Commodores on Thursday Feb. 28, 2019 at Thompson-Boling Arena

For the third straight season, the Tennessee women’s basketball team will play the Texas Longhorns.

On Monday, both conferences announced that the Lady Vols and Longhorns will face off as part of the annual Big 12/SEC Women’s Basketball Challenge on Dec. 8 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Official game times and television network destinations will be announced at a later date.

The contest will mark the third time in the last three seasons that the two teams have played each other, with Tennessee winning the last two, most recently an 88-82 decision in Austin in 2018.

The Lady Vols hold a 25-15 overall lead in the historic series that dates back to 1978.

Tennessee is set to be one of ten teams from the 14-team SEC to participate in the challenge, which will feature five home games each for both conferences.

The Big 12/SEC Women’s Basketball Challenge, which began in 2014, went to a 10-game format ahead of the 2016 season, with the SEC holding a 6-4 advantage that season. However, the last two seasons both conferences have gone 5-5 against each other.

Last season, the Lady Vols played at Oklahoma State as part of the event, winning that game, 76-63 in Stillwater.

Here is the rest of the Big 12/ SEC Women’s Basketball Challenge slate:

Wednesday, Dec. 4: Georgia at Baylor

Thursday, Dec. 5: Iowa State at Alabama, Ole Miss at Texas Tech

Saturday, Dec. 7: LSU at Oklahoma, Auburn at TCU, Kansas State at Arkansas, Oklahoma State at Texas A&M

Sunday, Dec. 8: West Virginia at Mississippi State, Florida at Kansas, Texas at Tennessee