Lady Vols vs. Tennessee State
Head Coach Kellie Harper coaches her players from the sidelines during the game against Tennessee State on Thursday, November 14, 2019 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

No. 24 Tennessee comes back home for a matchup against the Alabama Crimson Tide on Monday night in Thompson-Boling Arena at 7:02 p.m. Tennessee will look to improve its 14-3 record, 4-1 SEC record. 

Monday’s matchup will be the 57th matchup between the two programs. Tennessee currently leads the series 49-7. However, Alabama has won the previous five games.

Tennessee’s last game was against Florida, a 78-50 road win, that saw Tennessee win its third straight conference game and its sixth out of its last seven. Rennia Davis led her team to victory, as she finished with 18 points and five rebounds. Teammate, Rae Burrell was the only other Lady Vol to finish with double-digit points as she tallied 11. 

Tennessee started off the match falling behind 6-2. The Lady Vols were able to rebound and got on a 26-5 run during a 10 minute span to take a 28-11 lead. The Lady Vols turned in 27 points off of turnovers and shot 53.3 percent from the field during the match. Their 53% shooting night stands as the eighth time this season they have hit at least half of their shots. This only happened three times during the 2018-19 season. 

The Lady Vols stand as one of the best teams in the SEC, after wins against Florida, Missouri (77-66), Ole Miss (84-28), and Georgia (73-56). They currently are tied with Kentucky for third in conference. Tennessee’s three losses came at the hands of Texas, (then) No. 1 Stanford, and (then) No. 13 Kentucky. 

After a week off, Alabama enters Knoxville with a 11-6 record, and a 1-3 SEC record. The Crimson Tide’s last match was on January 12, a 75-48 win against in-state rival Auburn, their first conference win of the season. Alabama stands at No. 10 in the league standings.

Alabama was led by Jasmine Walker, who recorded her third double-double. She scored 23 points, along with four three-pointers, and 10 rebounds. Jordan Lewis filled the stat sheet as well, and dropped 16 points, six rebounds, and four assists. Ariyah Copeland was the only other Crimson Tide player with double-digit points, she pitched in 10 points in the win. 

The last time these two teams played each other, was in Tuscaloosa on January 17, 2019. Tennessee’s Zaay Green finished the match with her first career double-double, but that wasn’t enough as Alabama shot 50% on the floor to beat Tennessee, 86-65.

If Tennessee wins the matchup on Monday, it would stand as the Lady Vols’ 400th SEC regular season victory in program history. It would increase an already league leading mark by more than 90 victories. 

A victory against Alabama would also be a significant milestone for Tennessee head coach Kellie Harper. If they win, it would be Harper’s 300th victory over her 16-year head coaching career.