Lady Vols vs Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Jordan Horston, #25, passing to Rennia Davis, #0, during the game against the Arkansas-Pine Bluff Lady Lions on Tuesday, November 26, 2019 in Thompson-Boling Arena.

The University of Tennessee Women’s basketball team defeated Ole Miss, 84-28 on Thursday night in Oxford, Mississippi. No. 23 Tennessee improved to 12-3 on the season and 2-1 in SEC play, while Ole Miss fell to 8-8 with a 0-3 SEC record.

Rennia Davis led the way as she dropped 17 points, distributed the ball five times, and grabbed seven boards. Jordan Horston nearly achieved the triple-double mark as she finished with 11 points, nine rebounds, and seven assists.

Jessie Rennie was incredibly efficient on offense as she went a perfect 3-for-3 from 3-point land and made both of her free throws.

Dominique Banks and Jayla Alexander of Ole Miss led the way for their team as they scored 21 of their team’s 28 points, with Banks scoring 12 and Alexander posting 9.

The tone was set in the first quarter as Tennessee shot 73.3% from the field. The Lady Vols scored eight quick points from Davis, Horston and Lou Brown. The team played tight defense as Ole Miss was held scoreless for three and a half minutes.

Deja Cage of Ole Miss scored her team’s first basket, a three with nearly six and a half minutes remaining. Tennessee immediately started a 9-0 run on a perfect 4 of 4 shooting to take a 17-3 lead. Alexander made another Rebel three to stop Tennessee’s run, but it did not take long for another run to form as

Tennessee closed the quarter on an 8-0 run to lead 25-6.

The run continued for Tennessee as they scored 10 unanswered points to push the run to 19-0 until Ole Miss scored on consecutive possessions. Eight points is all Ole Miss could muster out of the quarter as Tennessee answered with four different Lady Vols scoring points to help push the lead to 46-14.

The first half of the game stands as Tennessee best shooting percentage of the season, as the team knocked down 62.5% of its shots. Also, every member of Tennessee’s roster scored at least two points during the first half.

Tennessee opened the second half with a 7-0 run, started off by a Horston three. Tamari Key helped to extend the run to seven and would then score Tennessee’s next seven points to give the Lady Vols a 58-17 lead.

Ole Miss was able to score in rapid succession as Torri Lewis and Banks combined for five points, but it was to no avail as Tennessee the outscored the Rebels 5-2 to take a 69-26 lead into the fourth quarter.

The Lady Vols started the final stanza with an 8-0 run, and held Ole Miss scoreless until the final two minutes of the game. Tennessee only gave up two points in the final quarter to finish off an impressive 56 point victory.

Tennessee now sets their sights on the visiting Georgia Bulldogs. The two SEC rivals will face off in Thompson Boling Arena on Sunday at 1 p.m.