Lady Vols vs Alabama
Head Coach, Kellie Harper, argues with the ref after a call against Tennessee during the game against Alabama on Monday, January 20, 2020 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

The No. 25 Lady Vols lost at Pete Maravich Assembly Center, 75-65, as the LSU Tigers scored 26 points in the final quarter. Tennessee now falls to 17-7 on the season and 7-4 in the SEC. LSU, on the other hand, rises to 18-5, with a 8-3 SEC record. 

In her first game back since being out with the flu, Rennia Davis finished with a team-high 19 points and six rebounds. Lou Brown and Tamari Key tied the team for second place in points as they each finished with nine. 

For LSU, Khayla Pointer finished as the games top scorer with 24 points, while teammate Awa Trasi was a close second with 22 points.

The game started out slow, with both teams struggling to find the bottom of the net. The first point was made by Pointer, she hit one of her two free throws almost a minute and a half into the first quarter. It took another 30 seconds until Tennessee got their first points, which came in the form of a Brown mid-range jumper. 

Scoring picked up a bit as both teams were tied at seven before the media timeout. Afterwards, a field goal wasn’t made until the 1:40 mark. Brown broke the dry spell to put Tennessee into the lead, 10-8. Before the end of the quarter, Trasi made a three to tie the at 12 before the start of the second quarter. 

Tenneesse’s bench came alive during the second quarter. Kamera Harris, Jessie Rennie and Jaiden McCoy scored Tennessee’s first three baskets of the quarter to put Tennessee ahead, 19-17. Trasi made another three for the Tigers to give her team a 24-21 lead with five minutes remaining. A few moments later, the Lady Vols responded with an 8-2 run to take a 30-28 lead. LSU answered right back with a 6-0 run of its own to take a 34-32 lead into the half.

Tennessee’s bench outscored LSU’s bench 20-15. This was the Lady Vols’ bench best outing since they played Vanderbilt, where they scored 23 points. 

In the third, Tennessee committed multiple fouls and turnovers which caused them to fall behind 44-35 halfway through the third. Davis made a three point play to narrow the deficit to just six. LSU made a pair of free throws after, but Jordan Horston and Davis combined for five quick points to cut the lead to three, with LSU up 46-43. 

Tennessee kept LSU at that three point lead until McCoy converted on both of her free throw opportunities to narrow the Tiger’s lead to just one going into the last quarter. 

The Lady Vols committed only 12 turnovers against the Tigers. This mark tied their lowest turnover total in conference play since they played Ole Miss on Jan. 9. 

Both teams were unable to pull away until LSU’s Pointer and Trasi combined for six unanswered points, moving LSU’s lead to 62-54. Davis ended Tennessee’s drought, but Trasi immediately made a three to give LSU the final boost they needed. The Lady Vols would be unable to cut the lead to less than eight, as they fell in Louisiana, 75-65. 

Tennessee comes home for a match against No. 16/18 Texas A&M on Sunday at 3 p.m.