Lady Vols vs. Stetson
Rennia Davis, #0, lifts the ball to the basket during the game against Stetson on Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Tennessee defeated the Florida Gators 78-50 in Exactech Arena, in Gainesville. After Tennessee’s third straight conference win, the Vols now stand at 14-3 overall and 4-1 in the SEC, while Florida dropped to 11-7 on the year with a 2-3 SEC record. 

Rennia Davis had a game-high 18 points and added five rebounds in the win. Rae Burrell was the only other Lady Vol who finished with double-digit points, scoring 11 points. 

Florida was led by two freshmen, Lavender Briggs and Brylee Bartram, who each scored 11 points.

The Gators started out fast as they scored on their first three possessions to get a quick 6-2 lead. Tennessee tied the game on a Davis jumper and a Jordan Horston bucket. After that, a Rae Burrell 3-pointer put Tennessee ahead 9-6, with Florida responding with a bucket of its own. 

Davis scored Tennessee’s next six points and Burrell hit both of her free throws. Florida’s Zada Williams would score her team’s only point for the remainder of the quarter, making the score 17-9 to end the first.

Tennessee opened the second up by extending its run to 11-1 after a 3-point play by Massengill. Two Tennessee jumpers pushed the Lady Vols lead to 24-9. During the final three minutes, six Lady Vols made a field goal to help extend their lead by 20. 

Nina Rickards got Florida some offense just under the two minute mark, which helped to lead to two more baskets to cut the lead to 40-24 going into half.

The first basket came two-and-half minutes into the third with Lou Brown knocking down a mid-range jumper. Brown again found the bottom of the net, as she made a three pointer, which was followed up by a Horston three to extend the lead to 48-25.

After Florida went on a 5-0 run, Tennessee answered with an 8-0 run of their own to give them a 27-point lead. Florida ended the third with four straight points to cut the lead to 56-33.

The final frame began with Burrell and Kasiyahna Kushkituah scoring a pair of baskets. Bartram hit back-to-back threes for the Gators, but it was too little too late as Tennessee coasted to a 78-50 win over Florida.

The Lady Vols’ offense was efficient against the Gators. Tennessee continued being productive on the charity stripe as they hit nine of 10 free throws. Tennessee also shot 53% from the field, which stands as the eighth time this season that they have hit at least half of their shots. They achieved this only three times during the 2018-19 season.

Tennessee took advantage of its positive turnover differential as they forced 16 turnovers and converted those Florida mistakes into 27 points.

Tennessee will be coming home to face off against Alabama on Monday at 7 p.m. in Thompson-Boling Arena.