Lady Vols vs Colorado State

On Wednesday night, the No. 23 Tennessee women’s basketball team lost to No. 1 ranked Stanford, 78-51, at Maples Pavilion. The loss drops Tennessee to an 8-2 record, while Stanford remains perfect at 10-0. 

The Lady Vols leading scorer was Rennia Davis who tallied 14 points and grabbed six boards. Jordan Horston finished the night with nine points and five rebounds, and was Tennessee’s second-leading scorer. 

Stanford’s, Kiana Williams had a game high 19 points and was able to tack on seven assists. Teammates Lexie Hull and Ashten Pretchel ended the night with double-digit points, as Hull dropped 11 and Pretchel added on 10. 

The two teams were neck and neck for the first half of the first quarter. Davis scored Tennessee’s first five points of the game, giving her squad a 5-3 advantage. After a Stanford three and two back-to-back Lady Vol baskets, the game was 12-10 Tennessee going into a media timeout. Once play resumed however, it was all Stanford. The Cardinal went on a 10-0 run in the final five minutes and finished the quarter with a score of 20-12. 

The second quarter started out slow, with both teams held scoreless until Tennessee’s Kasiyahna Kushkituah knocked down a free throw around the 8 minute mark. Stanford’s first score came from Hull, who hit a jumper to put the Cardinal up 22-13. The Lady Vols then went on a 5-0 run, which was immediately followed by a Stanford 5-0 run. The half ended shortly after with Stanford up 34-24.

Stanford’s offense started to cook in the second half. While Jazmine Massengill opened up the scoring in the second half with a layup. Stanford answered with back-to-back threes to give themselves a 14-point lead. Towards the end of the third, Stanford again hit consecutive threes to give them an 18 point lead. 

The fourth quarter was no different. Davis tried to create a rally for Tennessee with a three pointer but it too little too late. Stanford in the final frame shot 7-9 as a collective unit and ultimately took the game 78-51

Stanford finished the game topping Tennessee in most of the team categories and proved why they are the nation’s top team. 

Tennessee’s offense struggled to hang with Stanford as they finished with a shooting percentage of 28% against Stanford’s 43%. The story was no different from behind the arc as tennessee shot a modest 26%, but allowed the Cardinal to knock down 36% of their shots from downtown. The Lady Vols continued to struggle at the charity strip only knocking down 54% of their free throws. Stanford, on the other hand, took advantage of their opportunities and made 75% of their opportunities. 

Tennessee was also out-rebounded 44-50 and picked the pockets of their opponent one  fewer times as Stanford finished with seven steals to Tennessee’s six. Tennessee did win the turnover battle as they only coughed the ball up 11 times to Stanford’s 13.

Up next for Tennessee is an evening match against Portland State at 2 p.m. on Saturday at Viking Pavilion.