Women's Basketball vs ETSU

Rennia Davis, #0, during game against ETSU on Dec. 21, 2018 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

The Lady Vols were able to open the Kellie Harper era with a win, as Tennessee emerged victorious over East Tennessee State tonight, 72-68.

Tennessee had two different players, junior Rennia Davis and freshman Tamari Key, earn double-doubles. 

Davis notched 13 points and 10 rebounds, while Key grabbed 11 points and 12 rebounds. Zaay put up 17 points, enough to lead the Lady Vols in scoring on the night.

For ETSU, Erica Haynes-Overton scored a game high 41 points, grabbed 10 rebounds, and also managed seven steals. Also reaching double digits for ETSU was E’Lease Stafford who ended the game with 13 points.

Jaiden McCoy opened the scoring for Tennessee, notching the first points of the season.

The Lady Vols would go on to win the first quarter 19-15. The second quarter was much the same with Tennessee outscoring the Buccaneers 21-15.

After the halftime break, ETSU picked the tempo and the Lady Vols just managed a slight edge in a 21-20 quarter. 

The final frame of the game belonged to the home team. ETSU outscored Tennessee 18-11, but fell just short of victory. The Lady Vols were able to hold on for a four point win.

Tennessee led in points in the paint with 38-30 over the Bucs. The Lady Vols also led second chance points 19-2. 

ETSU led the points off turnovers 10-6 and also edged Tennessee in fast break points by a score of 22-16. The Lady Vols found more success from their bench, with 33 points coming from reserve players, while ETSU managed only two points off the bench. However, the Bucs had 33 free throw attempts, over double Tennessee’s 16 attempts, while both teams shot just over 50% on free throw attempts.

The Lady Vols will return home for their home opener this Thursday against Central Arkansas. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.