Lady Vols vs. Stetson
Jordan Horston, #25, smiles at her teammates after scoring on Stetson during the game on Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Lady Vols freshman guard Jordan Horston was named the Freshman of the Week by the SEC following two big wins this week.

The freshman from Columbus, Ohio, has been a major contributor, starting every game for Tennessee this season, and this trend continued in this past week’s two wins over Florida and Alabama. Horston finished the week averaging 14 points, and 4.5 assists, as well as pulling down six rebounds, blocking 3.5 shots and registering a steal a game.

Horston was a key factor in the Lady Vols taking down the Crimson Tide to end the five-game series losing streak. She was able to claim the league’s high point total in the win, scoring 19 points and getting four assists. She set her career-high of four blocks and also contributed a steal.

In the Florida game, Horston scored nine points and had five assists in the winning effort. She added to that with four rebounds, three blocks and a steal. Horston accomplished those numbers in only 23 minutes on the court, as the lopsided nature of the game allowed other Tennessee players to get more time on the court.

This is Horston’s 11th time reaching into double figures, as well as the eighth time in the last 10 contests that she has played for the Lady Vols. In the remaining two games in that period, she fell just short, registering nine points in both match-ups. Horston has been able to put her teammates in good positions, averaging five assists per game. That figure is good enough for second in the conference, and Horston is the only freshman in the top 15 players in the that category.

Horston and the rest of the Tennessee team are back in action this Thursday, when they face historical rival UCONN in Hartford. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:00 pm, and the game will be available on ESPN.