Kara Lawson

There is no shortage of former UT athletes enshrined in the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame in Nashville.

One more will take her place on Saturday.

Former Lady Vols basketball player and 2008 U.S. Olympic gold medalist Kara Lawson is set to be one of nine athletes with Volunteer State ties inducted into the Hall this weekend.

Lawson came to Knoxville by way of Alexandria, Virginia, in 1999, playing for former head coach Pat Summitt for four seasons.

Following a successful senior season, Lawson reached WBCA All-American status, among other accolades.

The Associated Press named Lawson to their All-America second team in 2003, third team in 2002 and honorable mention in 2001. She was also a four-time All-SEC First Team selection by league coaches and All-SEC First Team by the media both in 2002 and 2003.

Lawson was a part of four SEC title-winning teams, as well as three Final Four teams. During her redshirt freshman and sophomore years Tennessee finished as national finalists.

Overall, Lawson averaged more than 13 points per game. During her junior campaign, her 15-point average was a team-best. She averaged double scoring figures in all of her four years with the program.

By the time Lawson had graduated, she was the fourth all-time leading scorer with 1,950 points. That mark currently ranks No. 6 in program history. Beyond the arch, Lawson ranks No. 2 with a .415 three-point field goal percentage and No. 3 with three-pointers made with 256

During her freshman season, Lawson tallied 79 scores from deep, which still holds the top billing among freshmen in program history.

Following her Tennessee career, Lawson began a 13-year WNBA career with the Sacramento Monarchs, Connecticut Sun and Washington Mystics. In 2008, she teamed up with fellow former Lady Vols Tamika Catchings and Candace Parker on the U.S. Olympic Team during the Olympics in Beijing, China.

More recently, Lawson works in broadcasting as an analyst for ESPN’s coverage of men’s and women’s college basketball. In 2007, she made history by becoming the first woman to work as an analyst for a nationally televised NBA game.

But Lawson’s connection to the game isn’t limited to the TV booth. Lawson currently coaches in the 3x3 women’s basketball leagues, helping lead the U.S. team to a gold medal in the 2017 World Cup.

In addition to Lawson, four others with ties to the university will also be inducted into the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame, including Kippy Brown, David Cutcliffe, Charles Davis and Peyton Manning.

Brown, a native of nearby Sweetwater and Memphis alum, served as a wide receivers coach on Johnny Majors’ staff from 1983-89, while David Cutcliffe served as an assistant coach and offensive coordinator in two different stints between 1982 and 2007.

Charles Davis, who was born in Elizabethton, played defensive back for the Vols from 1982-86 before embarking on a broadcasting career with FOX’s NFL and college football coverage. He will join former quarterback Peyton Manning, who broke a plethora of passing and scoring records at Tennessee before going on to win two Super Bowls in an 18-year pro career.