As the saying goes, there is a calm before any storm. The same could be said for the Tennessee women’s golf team following their latest tournament appearance at the Clemson Invitational.

After a rough start during the first round, one in which Tennessee shot 14-over 302, the Volunteers fought back in rounds two and three, logging a solid 1-under-par performance over the stretch of the final two days of the tournament.

The Vols would move up six spots overall during that span and, spurred by strong efforts from seniors Hannah Pietila and Lucia Polo on Sunday, finished with a 1-over 289 with a 54-hole total of 877, good for seventh place.

Both Pietila and Polo were stellar on the final day, combining for 11 birdies while registering rounds of two-under-par.

The senior tandem finished tied for 35th place overall while shooting a total of 5-over 227.

Not only were Pietila and Polo impressive, but juniors Blakesly Warren and Anna Newell helped round out UT’s scoring as well.

Warren finished with the third-best score in round three, a 2-over 74, and shot 7-over over the course of three days, good for 41st place.

Newell would go on to shoot 75 (+3) in round three, finishing with a 54-hole total of 218. The Tampa, Florida native and WGCA First Team All-American tied for 22nd place, her seventh top-25 finish this season.

Freshman Michaela Williams carded a 79 during the final round, finishing with an overall score of 11-over 227.

Senior Teleri Hughes participated as an individual, tying for 71st place overall after shooting 81 in round three.

The No. 6-ranked Florida State Seminoles would go on to claim the tournament championship, posting a three-under 285

in the final round and finishing with score of 10-under.

Florida State’s no. 19-ranked Matilda Castren took home medalist honors, carding an overall score of 9-under.

Tennessee will return to action on April 21 in Birmingham, Alabama for the Southeastern Conference Championship.