Womens golf

Waverly Whiston at the Mercedes-Bens Collegiate Championship at the Cherokee Country Club in Knoxville, TN on Sept. 18, 2018.

The University of Tennessee women’s golf team competed in the second round of the Clemson Invitational on Monday, moving up five spots after the match.

The Lady Vols shot 3-under-par, which marked the third lowest score of the day. They passed No. 5 Florida State, No. 17 Virginia, No. 18 Michigan State as well as Purdue and Virginia Tech, which are both ranked in the top 50.

“The players sometimes get a chance to look at the scores during a delay and I think today that lit a fire under them,” head coach Judi Pavon said. “We were still in around 12th place at that point and when we went back out Micheala, Waverly and Malia made some birdies that helped us jump up the leaderboard.

“This is a course that you can really score on if you are hitting your irons well and all four of the players that played well today feel good about those shots."

Tennessee is currently in seventh place after playing 36 holes. The Lady Vols also sit three strokes back of fourth place, which is currently held by Illinois.

Micheala Williams scored in the 60s during her second round, and finished tied for first along with No. 4 ranked Julie McCarthy of Auburn, with a score of 67 (-5). Williams shot the second lowest score in the field and she is only one of four players to have a sub-70 score in the first two rounds of the tournament.

Williams has seven rounds in the 60s so far this spring. She has the third lowest score through two rounds in program history in part of her 36-hole score of 136 (-8). Williams also achieved this last season while participating at the NCAA Tallahassee Regional.

“Micheala had a great day,” Pavon said. “The conditions were really good except for a short downpour and she took advantage and played really well. She is a very solid player, but has lacked consistency in the past. This spring she has really found a way to play well day in and day out."

Williams is competing against 16 of the top 100 golfers in the country, according to Golfstat rankings. She can become the first Lady Vol since 2011 to win two individual titles in the same season.

Mariah Smith can also win the individual title as well. She carded her second under-par round of the tournament on Monday and is currently in seventh place with a score of 5-under-par.

Waverly Whiston shot a 71 (-1) in her second round as well. This helped her crack the top 20 on the leaderboard. Whiston has moved up seven spots after starting Tuesday tied for 25th, because of two birdies in her final four holes.

Malia Stovall helped the Lady Vols move up in the leaderboard after she shot 1-under-par on Monday.

Tennessee tees off against Texas A&M (-1) and LSU (E) in the final round on Tuesday at 8:54 a.m. Texas A&M and LSU are in fifth and sixth place, respectively.