Vols Tennis vs Georgia State

The No. 16 Tennessee men’s tennis team defeated both Georgia State and Mercer 7-0 on Friday at Goodfriend Tennis Center.

“We're getting better," said head coach Chris Woodruff. "It isn't anything special, it's just good solid work. Trying to work for our points, trying to come together a little bit better, trying to move a little bit better and trying to get a little bit stronger together.”

The Vols (8-1) have swept their opponents in seven of their eight wins. This ties last season’s total in just the first month of the season.

No. 23 Adam Walton, Giles Hussey and Mark Wallner remain undefeated in singles play. After today’s matches, they now stand at 8-0, 6-0 and 3-0, respectively. Walton has his longest winning streak of the season and is one win shy of tying the longest win streak of his career. 

Scott Jones surpassed Rhyne Williams and is now tied with Davey Sandgren for 19th place on Tennessee’s all-time singles wins list, after his 83rd and 84th wins. Jones has won 20 plus matches each year since joining the Vols. He is currently 12-5 this season and stands at 6-2 in doubles play.

During the Georgia State match, Tennessee was firing on all cylinders and won the doubles point after victories on courts two and three. Walton, along with doubles partner Martim Prata defeated the Panthers’ pairing of Kevin Huynh and Patrick Lazo, 6-2 on court three. Jones and Hussey won their match 6-2 and took the doubles point against Quentin Coulaud and Bailey Showers.

The Vols won the first set on all six courts and eventually won five of their six matches in straight sets during single play. 

The first to finish was Luca Wiedenmann who defeated Huynh 6-1, 6-2. Walton was next, after defeating Grinvalds 6-2, 6-0. Wallner ended up clinching the point for Tennessee after defeating Lazo, 6-4, 6-1.

The Vols and Georgia State played out the remaining matches. Jones defeated Coulaud 6-3, 6-3, Hussey won against Showers, 6-4, 6-3, while Prata finished off the sweep for Tennessee after defeating Duarte 6-0, 2-6, 6-2.

The Vols continued to be dominant during doubles play, as they took the doubles point against Mercer. Rogers/Wallner was the first team to finish after beating Olivier Stuart and Hugo Lobo 6-2. Walton/Prata ended up taking the doubles point for the Vols after defeating Carver Arant and Luca Wayenburg, 6-2.

Walton opened up singles with a win against Stuart, however he had to retire from play so the match only went to 6-1, 2-0. Prata followed with a 6-3, 6-1 win against Arant. Wallner clinched the match for Tennessee for the second time after defeating Wayenburg, 6-1, 6-1. 

The Vols and Mercer continued playing with Jones defeating Lobo 6-3, 7-5 and Wiedenmann beating Tsiranidis, 6-3, 6-4. Rogers capped off Tennessee’s sweep of Mercer after beating Georgadze 6-1, 7-6 (7-3).

The Vols’ final match of their eight-game homestand will happen on Sunday against Wichita State. The match will happen at noon at the Goodfriend Tennis Center.