Men's Basketball vs Georgia

Jordan Bowden, #23,  during game against Georgia Jan. 5, 2019 at Thompson-Boling Arena. 

Coming off a 96-50 blowout win over Georgia on Saturday, there was not much room for improvement for the No. 3 Tennessee basketball team as it traveled to Missouri for a matchup with the Tigers.

The Vols showed off their prowess once again, beating Missouri 87-63 on Tuesday night as they improved to 2-0 in SEC play.

Junior guard Jordan Bowden led Tennessee in scoring off the bench for the second game in a row. Bowden scored 20 points on 7 of 12 shooting, including a 6 of 6 effort at the free throw line.

Missouri jumped in front early, leading the Vols 19-10 at the 10:51 mark in the first half. It marked the largest deficit Tennessee had faced all season.

The Vols would go on to show why they are widely considered a national title contender, finishing the half on a 32-12 run to take a 42-31 lead into the locker room.

Tennessee did not slow down in the second half, holding Missouri to 32 points while scoring 45 of its own. The Vols dominated the glass, winning the rebounding advantage 36-24.

Senior forward Kyle Alexander was a large part of that success, as he had his second consecutive double-double, grabbing a career-high 17 rebounds and adding 14 points. Alexander’s 17 rebounds were the most in a game for a Tennessee player since Jarnell Stokes had 18 against Mercer on March 23, 2014.

Point guard Jordan Bone scored 17 points in the game on a 5 of 10 effort from the floor. Bone also grabbed five rebounds and dished out five assists.

Senior Admiral Schofield recovered from a slow start—as he tallied just three points in the first half—to finish the game with 16 points on 6 of 11 shooting. Schofield also had nine rebounds and four assists in 31 minutes of action.

Junior guard Lamonte Turner, in his second game back after being sidelined with a shoulder injury, scored nine points. He finished the game 3 of 4 from the three-point line.

Reigning SEC Player of the Year Grant Williams scored just four points and was 1 of 8 from the floor. John Fulkerson and Yves Pons were the only other Tennessee players to score, as they had four points and three points, respectively.

Tennessee returns to action on Saturday, as the Vols travel to Florida for a matchup with the Gators. The game starts at 6:00 p.m. ET from the Stephen C. O’Connell Center in Gainesville, Florida.