Coleman looks for more records to break in Tennessee Relays

Cassie Wertman during the Tennessee Rust Buster at Tom Black Track on March 25, 2017.

Tennessee will be facing off against some solid competition this week in the 50th running of the

Tennessee Relays this Thursday, Friday and Saturday, April 7-9.

A total of 16 teams will make an appearance, including top-ranked men’s teams No. 15 Ole Miss and No.18 Virginia Tech, along with women’s top teams No. 3 Kentucky and No. 10 Florida State. Meanwhile, the Tennessee women are ranked No. 12 in the country and the men are at No. 14.

The Volunteers look to continue their progress from last week, nabbing 13 personal records and eight top-five finishes.

This will be Christian Coleman’s first appearance at Tennessee’s new track this outdoor season as he sets out to compete in the men’s 100m, 4x100m relay and the 4x400m relay.

Coleman has been quite literally one of the best runners in the world over the course of the past year. He won the 60m dash at the NCAA Indoor National Championship meet by tying a collegiate record of 6.45 seconds. Coleman won the race by a .09 second margin, the largest margin of victory in NCAA Championship history.

He also won the 200m by running the second-fastest time in collegiate history at 20.11, second to Wallace Spearmon’s 20.10 time in 2005.

“He’s ready to run, he’s chomping at the bit,” Beth Alford-Sullivan, director of track and field and cross country, said.

Outside of Coleman, Stamatia Scarvelis and Cassie Wertman in women’s throws should also put on a good show this week.

“Throwers are really hitting their stride right now,” Alford-Sullivan said. “Stamatia, outdoors is a triple threat between shot, the disc and the hammer, and Cassie is ranked No. 2 in the country right now, and she’s looking really good.”

Scarvelis set a school record last week at the Florida Relays in the hammer throw with distance of 64.86m. Scarveils also came in the top-10 in the discus throw with a distance of 51.55m.

Saturday’s meet will begin by recognizing the seven seniors on Tennessee’s squad as they will take part in their second to last meet in Knoxville this year. This year’s seniors include Chelsea Blaase in cross country and distance running, Candice Butler, Cassie Wertman and Cameron Brown in throws, Kali Davis-White in sprints and Rebecka Miranda and Brielyn Rogers in jumps and sprints.

The multitude of events will begin Thursday, April 6, at 10 a.m. and will run until 9 p.m. Friday’s schedule looks similar with a start time of 10 a.m. lasting until 8 p.m., and Saturday will begin at 11:30 a.m. and go through 3:30 p.m.