Vols vs Texas A&M
The UTK Men's Basketball team huddles up before playing Texas A&M on Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

In what was their first game of a two-game road trip, Tennessee men’s basketball lost 86-73 to Mississippi State.

Reggie Perry and D.J. Stewart Jr. led the Bulldogs in scoring, tallying 24 and 20 points, respectively.

The leading scorers for the Vols, Uros Plavsic and Santiago Vescovi, each tallied 16 points in the losing effort. Jalen Johnson finished the game with a career-high 13 points.

For the second time in the past three games, Jordan Bowden was held scoreless in the first half, but the senior did score 12 points in the second half of the loss.

The opening 12 minutes of the game saw five different players, who represent five different nations, contributed points for Tennessee. Propelled by a 12-4 run that lasted five minutes, the Vols were able to take a 21-17 lead with under eight minutes to play in the first half.

Mississippi State then scored six straight points to respond to the Tennessee run. However, the Vols go on a run to go into halftime leading 34-28.

At the start of the second half, the Bulldogs came out in force, taking back the lead quickly. Mississippi State had regained a 45-40 lead only six minutes into the second half, during which the bulk of the points came from a two-minute 10-0 run.

After regaining the lead, the Bulldogs started to extend their over the game, improving their lead to 63-52 with 7:50 left in the game.

Tennessee had multiple attempts to get back in the game, but Mississippi State answered each time, at one point extending their lead to 17 points.

The Vols will have one more game on this road trip when they travel to Alabama on Feb. 4. Tennessee will return home on Feb. 8 when they face Kentucky on CBS.