Timo Stodder

Timo Stodder at the game against Texas A&M on Mar. 23, 2018. 

Coming into day two of qualifying in Tulsa, Oklahoma, the Tennessee men’s tennis team had two players that were trying to make the main draw of the ITA All-American Championships, but neither was able to make it to Thursday’s matches.

In day one of qualifying on Monday, the Vols were able to have success early in the day. Adam Walton and Scott Jones were each able to advance to the second round of qualifying singles play by winning in their first match of the day at the University of Tulsa.

Jones was able to defeat Austen Huang from Columbia University in three sets, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4. Meanwhile, Walton was able to defeat Carles Sarrio of SMU in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0.

In addition to the Vols having singles success on Monday, they were also able to win a match in doubles action. The team of Preston Touliatos and Timo Stodder earned a win in their first match by defeating Jan Kirchoff/Arnaud Restifo from San Diego State, 6-3, 7-5.

However, the seniors were ousted from the tournament in the second round of doubles play, losing to the team of Jimmy Bendeck and Sven Lah from Baylor by a final score of 3-6, 6-2, 10-8.

While the Vols were able to have some success on Monday, the same cannot be said for Tuesday.

Tennessee’s Walton and Jones were both eliminated from the singles qualifying round on Tuesday afternoon.

Although he was eliminated, Jones was able to win his first match of the day in three sets. He defeated Noe Khlif from the University of Illinois 3-6, 6-2, 6-4. In his second match of the day, Jones fell to Mattias Simmer from the University of Michigan in straight sets 6-3, 6-4 to end his run in Tulsa.

As for the other Vol who advanced to Tuesday’s qualifying rounds, the day did not last long. Walton was unable to win his first match of the day, losing to California’s Yuta Kikuchi. Walton fought hard to try to force a decisive set three, but was unable to capitalize as he fell 6-2, 7-6(6).

The Vols will have one player who will advance to Thursday to compete in the main draw of the ITA All-American Championships, and that will be Timo Stodder. The senior earned a spot in the tournament main draw play with his No.6 preseason national ranking in singles.