The Lady Vols vs. North Dakota State
Lady Vol's volleyball player Tessa Grubbs (17) spikes the ball in the game against North Dakota State at Thompson-Boling Arena on September 21, 2019

The Lady Vols notched their first road conference win in style after defeating the Auburn Tigers in a straight-set (25-20, 25-18, 25-23) on Sunday.

"The biggest thing for this group is being able to get a win on the road,” explained head coach Eve Rackham. “Now that we get the monkey off our back, we are feeling like this is something we can do. I'm proud of the way that they came out and found a way to finish. In two sets when we were down, we found a way to come back and win to get a big road match.

"A road win in the SEC is tough anywhere you play and I'm just happy we were able to find one today."

Tennessee (8-6, 2-2 SEC) dominated Auburn defensively, holding the Tigers (6-9, 0-4 SEC) to a .092 hitting percentage, the lowest Tennessee has faced some in the SEC. Auburn could only produced 30 kills throughout the match, including single-digits kills in the second and third set.

The same could not be said for Tennessee’s offense. At least three Lady Vols walked away with double-digit kills, including Lily Felts (9), Morgahn Fingall (8), and Danielle Mahaffey (8). Addisyn Rowe also had an impressive performance in her first start of conference play, with five block assists and a pair of kills.

“I was able to get into a rhythm because our defense started clicking,” explained Lily Felts. “We were able to run a lot of good sets in transition. Our setters were able to put a lot of good balls up for all the hitters. I was able to get into a rhythm due to our defense and our good passing in the second and third sets.”

Sedona Hansen met yet another milestone in her career Sunday afternoon, becoming the fifth member of the 3,000-assist club. Hansen is the fourth player in Tennessee history to record 3,000 career assists and 1,000 career digs. She also had a team-high 18 assists against the Tigers.

Hansen’s milestone led to set point (24-19) for the Lady Vols in the first set. After a set to Grubbs, they headed into the second.

Grubbs had a match-high of 12 kills, continuing the trend of double-digit kills she's had in every game this season.

The Lady Vols will play next on Friday, Oct. 11 against LSU in Thompson Boling Arena. The match will begin at 6:30 p.m.