The Lady Vols vs. North Dakota State
Lady Vol's volleyball player Madison Coulter (3) serves the ball against North Dakota State at Thompson-Boling Arena on September 21, 2019

On Friday, the SEC Tennessee volleyball team “Lady Vols” will travel to Oxford, Mississippi to face off against the Ole Miss Rebels (8-3).

“Scouting reports change a lot, and you can pull up many of the previous matches to get a better idea of other teams’ tendencies and see what they do consistently,” Tennessee head coach Eve Rackham said. “We have had all week to prepare for Ole Miss and we need to be ready to be adaptable for whatever they throw at us.”

Tennessee is coming off of a successful week that saw them winning their fifth consecutive Tennessee Classic after beating North Dakota State in the first three sets. After the tournament, Madison Coulter won MVP and was named to the All-Tournament Team, along with teammate Alyssa Andreno.

Sedona Hansen and Tessa Grubbs were recognized for their play during last week as well. Hansen was named the SEC Player of the Week and was named the SEC Setter of the Week. Grubbs won Offensive Player of the Week.

“We look towards our returning players and the players that have gone out there and have done it before,” Rackham said. “Tessa Grubbs, Sedona Hansen, Alyssa Andreno, Madison Coulter, they have been on the floor for the past three or four years and have experienced that pressure and have played in hostile environments. You expect them to help lead our young players well, so that those younger players can grow into those positions.”

Tennessee is playing against an Ole Miss team that has won eight consecutive matches. The Rebels most recent win came against American in four sets.

Emily Stroup, a senior for the Rebels, is close to reaching the all-time kills record in program history after getting 16 kills in their most recent match. Anna Bair aided her team’s win by adding 12 kills. Aubrey Sultemeier and Nayo Warnell pitched in nine and seven kills respectively. Warnell also added six blocks to the box score.

After their match against Ole Miss, Tennessee will play Texas A&M who recently defeated Alabama to open up their SEC schedule. A&M’s win improves their overall record to 9-2.

Aggies’ senior outside hitter Hollann Hans led all players in that match with 24 kills. Hans’ 24 kills ties her personal single match record. The Aggies as a team hit with a mark of .315 and beat out Alabama in overall kills by 20, 67-47 were the final kill tallies.

“Both teams are very tough, but we are staying at a one game at a time mentality,” said Hansen. “Ole Miss is a really good team and they have home court advantage, so we are just trying to focus on what is going on with our side of the court.”

Friday’s match against Ole Miss is at 7:30 p.m. in Mississippi. Texas A&M will travel to Knoxville, on Sunday for a 3 p.m. match.