Volleyball vs. Texas A&M

Sedona Hansen, #11, sets the ball during game against Texas A&M on Nov. 4, 2018 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

The Tennessee Lady Vols Volleyball team is set to play in the the Baylor Invitational in Waco,

Texas this weekend.

The Lady Vols are looking to continue the momentum that they have coming off of winning two of three matches at the Spartan Invitational in East Lansing, Michigan last weekend.

Tennessee started off the invitational losing in straight sets, 0-3 to Cincinnati but then turned around and  beat Miami (Ohio) in straight sets 3-0, both on Friday. The Lady Vols ended the invitational by beating host Michigan State by a score of 3-2.

On Friday, the Lady Vols will face off against the Houston Cougars at 4 p.m., and then will meet the hosting No. 5 Baylor Lady Bears at 2 p.m. on Saturday.

Tennessee comes into this weekend’s contest with a hitting percentage of 0.231, which ranks 5th in the SEC, but also with an opposition hitting % of 0.250, which is third worst in the conference.

The Lady Vols boast a per set average of 11.8 kills, 10.7 assists, one ace, 11 digs and two blocks, all of which rank in the mid to lower range in the SEC. Still, Tennessee has played a tough out of conference slate, including two exciting matches against No. 6 Illinois.

The Houston Cougars have had an up and down start to their season as well, entering the Baylor Invitational  with a 5-4 record, just above .500. The Cougars have a slightly lower hitting percentage, but they also have lower opposition hitting percentage.

Houston’s other per-set averages all sit within one of the Lady Vols, setting up what could be another close matchup.

The Cougars and the Lady Vols have played 11 times total and seven times on neutral court for a record of 7-4 and 5-2, respectively, both favoring Houston.

The Baylor Lady Bears will enter the game with the best mark at 5-0 overall. The Lady Bears come in with a hitting percentage of .310 and an opposition hitting percentage of .148. Baylor averages per-set 14 kills, 13 assists, an ace, as well as 14 digs and 3 blocks. This will offer another early test for the Lady Vols.

Tennessee and the Lady Bears have only met once, a home match for the Lady Vols that they won in Knoxville.