Tennessee Volleyball vs. the University of Kentucky

Tennessee's Madison Coulter (3) and Asha Phillips (4) misdirect the ball during the Tennessee and Kentucky volleyball game on Thursday, October 17, 2019 Thompson-Boling Arena at the University Tennessee, Knoxville.

After a disappointing loss to South Carolina on Friday, the Lady Vols (9-10, 3-6 SEC) couldn’t seem to get the momentum back, falling to No. 13 Florida (16-3, 7-1 SEC) on Sunday in 4 sets (18-25, 20-25, 25-20, 17-25).

Things started off rough for Tennessee when the Gators came out swinging in the first set.

Despite the set being tied at 8, Florida soon took control, forcing offensive attacks from Lily Felts, tallying seven kills before the end of the first set. She managed 14 kills on the left pin and completed her second double double of the season. The set ended after the Gators went on a run and bested Tennessee 25-18.

Tennessee seemed to put on more steam in the second set when their defense put them ahead early. A few key kills and aces brought the set close, but the Lady Vols were unable to execute and Florida took the set 25-20.

Something clicked for Tennessee in the third set, and they took an early lead.

Tessa Grubbs went on the offensive attack, putting Tennessee up 22-18 before the Lady Vols took the set 25-20.

Grubbs had a team-high in kills, ending the match with 22. She had 14 kills in the final two frames.

Tennessee’s victory was short-lived when Florida dominated in the fourth set. Despite efforts from Addison Rowe and Felts, the Lady Vols were never able to take control and they fell to the Gators 25-17 in the final set. 

For the 10th time this season, senior setter Sedona Hansen ended the match with a double double. She took the team-high 32 assists and 10 digs.

Tennessee is set to play back at home next weekend where they’ll take on Ole Miss Friday and Georgia Sunday.