Volleyball vs Ole Miss

Erica Treiber, #7, spikes the ball during game against Ole Miss on Nov. 24, 2018 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

The Tennessee Volleyball team (25-5,16-2 SEC) was awarded a bid to the NCAA tournament on Sunday night, its 14th all-time selection and first since 2012.

“We are super excitied,” senior Brooke Schumacher said. “I think it will be the same emphasis we have had, (to) focus on what we need to do and (to) work hard in practice.”

The Lady Vols had two players named to the All-SEC team, senior Erica Treiber and junior Tessa Grubbs. Freshman Lily Felts was one of eight named to the All-SEC Freshman team.

Treiber and Grubbs become the program’s 44th and 45th selections to an All-SEC team. Both players were named to the All-SEC Freshman teams in 2015 and 2016, respectively.

Grubbs finished with six games of 20+ kills in the 18 game conference season. She was named SEC Offensive Player of the Week twice this season on the way to finishing fourth in the SEC in kills per set (4.74).

Treiber finished as the only hitter in the SEC with a percentage better than .400 on the season. She recorded .37 aces per set and 1.09 blocks per set, good enough for 5th in the SEC in both categories. Currently, she is at fourth in blocks (496) and 16th in kills (1,072) in her career.

Felts became the program’s ninth selection to the freshman team. She finished the season with three double-doubles, good enough for second on the team. She was also named SEC freshman of the week after the wins over Alabama and Mississippi State.

No player on Tennessee’s roster has ever played an NCAA Tournament game, but that will not stop the Lady Vols from trying to make noise this weekend. Three Lady Vols were awarded with individual All-SEC honors this past weekend, but it has been a total team effort since September.

The Lady Vols have six players who recorded over 100 kills this season. Tennessee also has four players who recorded 10 or more service aces this year. Treiber and Felts are the only Tennessee players who are in both categories.

Junior Sedona Hansen and Sophomore Callie Williams have recorded an average of 43.63 assists per game combined. Hansen led the team with 812 assists on the season.

Defensively, the Lady Vols had six players record over 150 digs this season. Sophomore Madison Coulter led the team with 329 and Schumacher had 302. Eight Lady Vols had 25 or more blocks this season.

The Lady Vols will head to the No. 16 seed Washington State’s home campus to play Colorado State (23-7, 15-3 MWC) on Friday. Tennessee’s Volleyball record all-time against Colorado State is 2-2 and the Lady Vols won the last meeting in 2012, a five-set thriller.

The winner of the match will move ahead in the tournament to play the winner of Washington State (21-9, 12-8 Pac-12) and Northern Arizona (26-8, 15-3 Big Sky).

“We do not concern ourselves with what other people are thinking,” Adams said. “We just go out and do the things we are trained to do and let the rest take care of itself.”