Vols Tennis vs Mercer

No.17 Tennessee men’s tennis travelled to Durham, North Carolina to take on 7-0 Duke on Friday night. The Volunteers stormed past the Blue Devils 6-1 behind solid performances in their singles matches. Tennessee came into the match with a 9-1 record and improved to 10-1 after handing Duke its first loss of the year.

The Vols opened up the evening by dropping the doubles point for only the third time all season. The Blue Devils’ Nick Stachowiak and Sean Sculley topped Tennessee’s Giles Hussey and Pat Harper 6-1 while Luca Keist and Spencer Furman clinched the doubles point for Duke as they finished off Mark Wallner and Andrew Rodgers 6-3. Adam Walton and Martim Prata did not finish their match against Garrett Johns and Samuel Rubell as the point had already been won.

The match then moved onto singles play where the Blue Devils got out to a fast start as they took four of the first six sets. The Vols stormed back in the second sets to also take four of six with the only two falling being Prata and Wiedenmann who both won their first sets, so all players moved onto the third set.

Rogers was the first to secure a point for Tennessee as he topped Rubell on court five 3-6, 6-2, 6-1. Hussey followed that up to give the Vols a 2-1 lead as he topped Furman 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 on court four.

As quickly as Tennessee gained the lead it added to it. Sophomore Pat Harper gained his first singles win of the spring as he finished off Duke’s Garrett Johns 4-6, 7-6 (7-2), 6-4 to put the Vols up 3-1 over Duke.

Luca Wiedenmann hung the winning point for Tennessee as he defeated Luca Keist to secure the Vols’ win 4-1.

The last two matches of the day were played out and saw No. 13 Adam Walton win yet another as he beat Stachowiak on the first court 3-6, 6-4, 6-4. The second court was the last to wrap up as Prata capped off the night with a win over Edu Guell 7-5, 5-7, 6-3, to give Tennessee a 6-1 win over the previously undefeated Blue Devils.

The Vols performance was extremely impressive as they rallied back from dropping the first point to sweep the singles matches 6-0 against a solid Duke team. They will have two weeks off before they host the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets on Feb. 21.