Staff Report: SPORTS

The Tennessee track and field team is coming off of another successful weekend after hosting the annual Tennessee Relays at the Tom Black Track in Knoxville.

The event occurred over three days, and was the first purely track and field event hosted by Tennessee during the 2018 season.

Now, with that behind them, the teams will split up again. The sprinters will head out west to Norwalk, CA to partake in the Mt. Sac Relays, and the long distance and jump groups will travel to Charlottesville to compete in the Virginia Challenge.

In California, Vol sprinters such as Elijah Miller, Mustaqueem Williams and Nathan Strother will look to build off of their third place, 39.71-second performance in the 4x100 relay on the final day of the Tennessee Relays.

Another group of Vols on the Women’s side will also put their success on the line out west. A team of sprinters, Lenyssee Dyer, Shania Collins, Felecia Majors and Maia McCoy placed second in the 4x100 as well as the 4x200-meter relays on Sunday.

The group will be going up against several Power Five athletes in the Golden State as sprinters from notable programs like Washington, USC, Arizona and Oregon are expected to compete in the invitational.

Tennessee sprinters will also have the opportunity to showcase and compare their talents against athletes from as far away as Indonesia.

In Virginia, The Vols’ long distance and jump groups will make the drive north to compete against a number of programs from around the southeast.

Several Vol triple and long jumpers are also coming off of an impressive showing at last weekend’s Tennessee Relays.

One of them-Junior LaChyna Roe-highlighted the group on Sunday with a first-place triple jump of 13.26-meters.

Another Vol that is coming off of a record-breaking weekend is junior Maya Neal. The Illinois native set a personal best on Saturday in the heptathlon, coming first place in day two action of the Relays with 5,456 points.

While senior leadership has been crucial to the team's success to this point in the season, Tennessee will look to its underclassmen to contribute to what they hope is another solid outing.

The Mt. Sac Relays will begin on Thursday and last through Friday while the Virginia Challenge will also be a two-day event, kicking off Friday and concluding on Saturday.

While Tennessee hopes to continue its success in both events, it will also look to them as a primer for the National Relay Championships next weekend, which will be hosted in Fayetteville by the University of Arkansas.