Track and field takes on long weekend in Florida

Malik Elion during the Tennessee Rust Buster at Tom Black Track on March 25, 2017.

This Tuesday, Tennessee’s men’s track and field program had two players win awards at the Southeastern Conference.

Emmanuel Bynum received SEC Men’s Freshman of the Week, and senior captain Darryl Sullivan received SEC Men’s Field Athlete of the Week honors.

During the Virginia Tech Invitational, Bynum finished with two top performances in the long sprint competition. He ran a time of 33.38 in the men’s 300-meter dash, which broke the all-time UT freshman record of 33.96, held by Dentarius Locke in 2011. With that performance, Bynum is now No. 6 on Tennessee’s list of all-time top-10 performers in the men’s 300m.

The next day, he competed in the men’s 400m dash and ran the fastest time in the SEC this season. Bynum took second at Virginia Tech in part for his 47.20 mark, his personal best. The time ranks ninth nationally and was only 0.15 seconds away from breaking the UT freshman record.

Bynum received the SEC Men’s Freshman of the Week honors, becoming the first to win the award since Ari Cogdell, who won the award January 19, 2016.

Sullivan also made history for his performance in the men’s high jump. He cleared a height of 2.33m (7-7.75) at the Virginia Tech Invitational.

The measurement is tied for the all-time Southeastern Conference indoor record and moved Sullivan to No. 4 on the NCAA track and field all-time indoor performance list. Sullivan’s mark also topped the world lead for the 2019-2020 indoor season and topped the most recent Tennessee school record of 2.31m (7-7), which is held by three-time NCAA champion Randy Jenkins.

He also tied the 2020 Olympic qualifying standard and broke the facility record at Virginia Tech’s Rector Field House with Saturday’s performance.

Sullivan is the first Tennessee athlete to earn SEC Men’s Field Athlete of the Week honors since February 9, 2016, when All-American pole vaulter Jake Blakenship won the award. He also received NCAA Division I National Athlete of the Week honors from the USTFCCCA Tuesday morning.